TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a comp for school. I am a gamer like on Rogue Spear and Wolfenstein and such, also I like to download songs and store them. So what type of required things would I need and possibly a price. I'm not looking for a comp to break into FBI files, just what I need it for to keep the cost down. Any ideas? I'm wide open for suggestions.

Thanks, Glenn

·
Registered
726 Posts
If your a gamer, a 3d card is a must. Nvidia (i think thats how its spelled) has some of the best cards on the market. The Geforce 4 4600 Ti is the cream of the crop but is about $288 or more. You can get a "bargin bin" geforce 4 420 for about $65, and for a bargin gamer comp, should be more then sufficent. Processer make doesn't much matter, and speed (some will disagree with me, but...) isn't all THAT important. After all, what are game requirements up to now? 300 mhz? Sure, a 2.53 ghz p4 is gonna be sweet, but for a bargin comp, i'd go with 2ghz, at the max, (to keep costs down) unless you find soming else for cheap. Hell, i'm only running a 733 mhz p3, and if i upgraded my 3d card (a geforce 256, WEAK! lol) and got some more memory (only gots 128 rdram) i could set even the most advanced game to max and have no problems. As for ram, if you really want to go cheap, get ddr. But if you want some really good stuff, get rdram. Its more expensive, and you have to buy two modules (unless you have an adaper thingy, forgot what its called), but is mucho superior to ddr (rdram has a 700+ mhz bus!). Hard drive, 80 mb should more then enough with ata/100 or ata/133 (not a whole lota difference, but ata/100 is cheaper, oviously) unless you install lotsa games at with a max. install size. Moniter, 15" or bigger, but with a 15", have fun squinting. The more pixals per inch, the better. Sound card, creative audigy gamer, cool card. You get giants and deus ex (sweet game!) with it. Speakers, no opinion. Cd/dvd drive, no opinion, and modem (for surfing!), broadband is the ONLY way to go. For gaming or surfing, its much better. Cable is good, but can be bitchy at times, maybe others can tell you about the other services.
And finally, for prices on the above items, go to www.pricewatch.com. Very cool site, will help you get the best prices possible. Oh! and a motherboard. Pc gamer recommends one from intel for the p4 and uses rdram, called something like a 850 something or other. Look at pc gamer for the right name. (hardware section)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
alright, heres a more methodical approach to the whole thing.

case: up to you, ive always referred people to colorcases.com
motherboard: abit kx7-333, $92
cpu: amd athlon xp 1800+ or 1900+, faster than that and you start spending more than its worth
memory: 512mb pc24000 ddr, $130
hard drive: maxtor 80.0GB 7200rpm $100
video: nVidia Geforce4 Ti4200 $140
monitor: Samsung 955DF 19" Flat CRT $250
sound: something not creative
speakers: logitech Z560($140), or Z340 ($50)
cdrw: mitsumi 40x20x48 $80
dvd: Lite On 16x $36
keyboard, mouse, etc: I recomend a microsoft natural keyboard(split in the middle) and a microsoft opticall 5-button intellimouse. the two should run you about $60.

all that total would run just shy of $1300 with the case and power supply. you could easily get that under $1000 by going with cheaper parts here and there.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Just curious, why do you not recommend a creative sound card? I have seen many good reviews of there new audigy platform, in fact, i have the audigy gamer, and i think its really good card. Did you have a bad experience or something?
Sorry about my other post, i was kinda rambling (JUST A LITTLE! lol!)
Oh, and where did you find a geforce4 Ti4200 for 150? Please, i'd like to know, i need one! hehe.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
ive just heard alot of people with bad experiences with their creative cards, i havent been burned by them.

for the Ti4200, i just searched pricewatch and there was a gainward card like 4 listings down for 137

·
Registered
726 Posts
Thats weird, i've never heard anything but praise for creative labs cards. Oh well.
anyway, i was thinking of the ti4600. Thats 288. But did you see, the ti4400 is a lot cheaper then the 4200? What the heck?

[edit] oh wait, nevermind. just looked closer, and that low price was for some stupid vr glasses or something. ghey.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking a little less than 1000

I was talking like 600-700, am I gonna get crap for that amount of money?! I mean I want a decent comp but I can't really afford that much right now. I don't know what to do. Are the prices on that price watch better than say comp usa?? I'm sure they are. I'm just really confused and I need a computer, kinda cheap.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
oh ok. you could build a cheap box for that much money, you can easily cut the price of each one of the things i listed in half if you want. you wont get the same performance but it will be alot better than what you would get at a chain store for the same price.

·
Registered
726 Posts
sure, 15" moniter, 1ghz p3, ddr, etc

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much guys...

I really don't mean to be a pain in the ass, but what is absolutely necessary for a good running comp, like there's no other option otherwise I will really suffer. What are the most important things to buy first. I really want a 19" screen...nothing less than 17" for sure. The video card will be the 4200...because of the games. Like the memory...what is the least I can go without really being short on that? I want a comp that is respectable but not expensive.

Once again I really really appreciate the help guys,

Glenn

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ummmmmmm

My dad just said I could have his old comp...it's a compudyne, kinda old!!! Will the case work? Anything else in there work for me?

·
Registered
726 Posts
128 mb for memory. MINIMUM. DDR or RDRAM. Most game min. requirements are 128mbs. 128 is okay, 256 is better, and 512 is really really good. Processor, 1ghz or higher, should last for a while, games aren't even close to that. Hard drive, 20mb, but that might fill quickly if you download a lot of mp3s and have a lot of games. 50mb should last a while. cd-rom. 32-52X should be dandy.
Oh, i dunno, j-rob, anything to add?

·
Registered
30 Posts
J-Rob said:
ive just heard alot of people with bad experiences with their creative cards, i havent been burned by them.
I personally wouldn't mix a SBLive/Audigy with an AMD Via chipset....Extigy I have no idea. I don't know if the new ones are better, but my KT133 and KT133a never really liked them...I still get game lockups in GTA3 1 out of 5 times and other games as well..especally while playing winamp in the BG. The Audigy sounded horrible and caused the KT133a to hang frequently before I tweaked the hell out of the Bios and patched the hell out of win2k.

The Hercules game theatre XP looks really nice, I'll probably pick one of those up and see if it cures my problems.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I got one for sale

I have a comp I'll sell...Its an athlon 900mhz with 384mb RAM, 56x disc, on board audio, Rage pro 128 w/ 32mb, no HD (Its away on an RMA trip)
I'll let that go for $400 if you want
EDIT: OH YEAH, I forgot, doesnt have a KB or mouse...my old 2k server (for school) and I used terminal services...so it didnt need it :p
Anyway..later

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I can build you a "new" computer for 600. I just refurnished my whole computer hardware selection for 400. The place I went to was www.pronetsale.com and went through their barebones kits. Usually barebones will come piecemeal but fortunately for me the whole computer was assembled by the company.

Check out pronetsale.com I got their address from Pricewatch so they're respectable in that esteem.

·
8,239 Posts
I built a killer sub $500 dollar rig

guys,
I just built a awesome rig for under 500 bucks. Here's the specs, and the approx prices.

Athlon 1800+ XP Processor, with case and ECS Motherboard $149.
512 Stick of DDR Ram $119
Philips 17''Monitor from Techsmart auctions on ebay $60 dollars shipped
Nvidia GForce 2 64 meg AGP Video, with video out $55 dollars shipped
Polk Audio speakers with amplified sub $35
Floppy $15 dollars
CDRW, and cd drive from another machine free
hard drive from another machine free

Its running windows 2000 very well right now, and i like the new rig alot.

i bought most of the stuff on pricewatch.com, and some on ebay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts