TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, to make it short and sweet, i've worked for Best Buy for over a year, and i'm sick of selling my head off and not getting any commission. The managers actually make commission offf of what YOU sell, no joke.

So things are starting to roll in a good way with a cell phone company, i'm like 90% hired and they asked me will you give your job 2 weeks notice, and i told them this...which is true.

"Ofcoarse i'll give them 2 weeks notice, but from my experience when any employee does that, best buy tells them to leave THAT day and sign a paper resigning their position"... A good buddy of mine worked there for 4 years, gave in his 2 weeks...they told him GO HOME.

I'm just thinking, should i get a new job start date..and then quit a couple days before i start my new job, or give them 2 weeks etc.. I wouldn't just "quit" i'd tell them i'm here to resign my position, it's not like i'm gonna just not show up like a douche.....although i'd LOVE TO.

What would you do..? BTW the new job would be an extra $2.50 hr and commission which i LOVE, i miss working on commission-keeps you motivated. From people i know in the company, the average sales guy makes $700 a month commission on a BAD month.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Be nice enough to your current employer and give them a 2 week notice. It's their choice if they let you go that day or have you work the 2 weeks - don't just quit though. That's basically burning a bridge with a company that you may be looking for a reference from later. Even though we'd all like to go in and tell some people higher up FU though.

-Melon

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Exactly what Melon said. ALWAYS give 2 weeks notice unless you have absolutely no choice. Another thing to think about is this. If the prospective employer finds out that you didn't give two weeks notice at your past place of employment, it doesn't reflect well on you.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
I was in this same position a few days ago. But my employer gave me a huge raise because he didn't want me to leave.

But, here is my advice for what it's worth. Give Best Buy the 2 weeks. It's up to them how they handle it. If they let you go, then be it so. If not, as mentioned earlier, the bridge is in tact. If you walk away with dignity and honesty, then you will be rewarded in the end!!!!

Good luck and I wish you prosperity in your new job!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to give my 2 weeks, but i also would like to tell the new company incase best buy has me resign, can i have the job sooner so i don't miss out on 2 weeks work.

what do you think..??

btw, worst company i've ever worked for. and i have 7 years retail experience.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Take lunch and never come back.
I've done that. Was a graveyard janitor for a bit and two people would clean the store each night. I was lucky enough to be hired along side a mentally disabled fellow after all of the janitorial staff had quit. Lasted about a month before I got pissed off that I was doing more and more as time went on and my coworker did what I could have done in one hour. Best lunch break ever.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Only way I would EVER take a lunch and not come back would be if I hated the job, and won the lottery. It is NEVER good to burn bridges. Never know when you're going to need a reference, or when a prospective employer is going to call them and ask about you.

And if I liked the folks I worked for (like I do now) I'd still give notice even if I won the lottery. Its just mean in some cases to leave em hanging short on staff.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Well you should always give 2 weeks notice for your own benefit... but if what I've read and heard about Best Buy is even half true then they deserve to have people quit and just walk out on them. lol

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Once I gave two weeks notice, and ended up working there one day a week for the the next 6 weeks. A bit different than a BigBox store, the owner had three employees left to cover 2 shifts every day.

I've found that references are just as important as everything else combined on your resume.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Tell the new place that, that might happen and ask if they can at least get your started, maybe part time for the first week or two or training or whatever. And tell them that it's just incase they let you go sooner then 2 weeks at the current place because if they don't you should work out the 2 weeks then go. The new place should see the honesty in what you are trying to do.
I have had many jobs like this (Circuit City was one of them) and almost all the time I am let go either that day or the next. Sometimes I was able to get the new place I had to get me training quicker.

Best of luck

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
2 weeks notice if they tell you to leave consider it a vacation and let the new company know that your ready to start anytime. Then say thanks to best buy for employing you and before you leave do some nasty doghnuts in the parking lot leaving the lot filled withnothing but smoke lol

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
let the phone company know that you can start working immediately if BB decides to dump you.... but otherwise. no worries. just dont quit.

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
ive heard of some people making serious bank selling phones and all, but ive also heard that if you dont get a good location you wont make a dime.

id be careful how you handle the whole deal at BB, because of the reasons already mentioned about the refrences, but not only, you might get in a bad position later in life and best buy would be a easy job to get back if youve worked there in the past and need a job fast.

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Only way I would EVER take a lunch and not come back would be if I hated the job, and won the lottery. It is NEVER good to burn bridges. Never know when you're going to need a reference, or when a prospective employer is going to call them and ask about you.
:zwthstpd: i agree, except everytime someone quits i get to train. my current success rate --> <10%

1 - 20 of 32 Posts