TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out today that i have a cracked left (rear) axle boot and have lost most of my grease in it. My mechanic tried to look up the boot number to get a new one and found out that its discontinued, and he couldnt find one.

Two questions...

Does anyone know where to get one?
He told me the only way he could get a new boot was to buy the entire axle. He priced one and he can get it and install it (with a lifetime warranty) for $190. my question is IF i do find a boot should i just buy the boot or just get an all new warranted axle?

thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok.. time for me to look stupid. Does the T-Bird have the same IRS setup as a Mark VIII? If so, $190 installed does not seem too bad or you can do its yourself for just over $100 with new OEM Ford parts. This is for a no core return:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=330188492833&rd=1

Most require a core return and that can bump the price over $100. After the core return it may be less than $100 but its reman and not new OEM.

Of course if you can find just the boot it may be worth it, assuming not too much grease was lost to result in damage.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Hit the junk yard and you'll find one, its just a tough boot to cover a mechanical joint, with 3 rollers on the end. And DIY its effen easy. The hard/messy part is the disassembly. Buy a bag of CV grease 7 bux, hit the j yard for a boot 5 bux and you have all you need. YOu don't need a new half shaft unless you snapped yours. This is a $20 job.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a junk yard was my first geuss...but hears another question. ive put like 600 miles on the broken boot which means 600 miles w/o grease. With that said should i just replace the whole axle since running it for that many miles might have cuase some damage?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
a junk yard was my first geuss...but hears another question. ive put like 600 miles on the broken boot which means 600 miles w/o grease. With that said should i just replace the whole axle since running it for that many miles might have cuase some damage?
If it was mine I would replace the whole axle. At our shop we dont even put just boots in because the damage is usually already done by the time you notice the boot is broken and have decided to repair it. Allowing dirt to enter the joint will accelerate its failure. We used to install CV boots on FWDs, but its not long after that they began to click and eventually break in some cases. Now we just replace the entire axle with a reman or new unit. Of course, FWD axles have to deliver torque while turning and while the suspension moves up and down through its range of travel. The ones on the rear (like our MN12s) really only have to deal with transferring power through all ranges of suspension travel since the rear wheels dont turn.

Oh yeah, plus by the time you have pulled the knuckle loose you just pop the axle out of the differential, gotta love those circlips. No worries about C-clip retainers on these diffs. Let us know how things go though man!
-Rob

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
Sounds to me like this is the perfect time to upgrade to some SC axles. Go to the junkyard, and get a pair of axles, preferably out of a 5-speed SC, and swap them out. That would still probably be cheaper than replacing just the boot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts