TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok about the fuel filter....i got the plastic clip on the tank side of the filter off with no trouble but what about the clips inside the metal casing on the engine side of the filter?

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
If you're referring to the actual connection, I found it easiest to disconnect using a fuel line disconnect tool. I've done it with a flathead screwdriver before....it wasn't too hard or time consuming that way, either.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ford makes a special tool to "unlock" the filter... I believe it can be had for a couple bucks at a ford dealer or maybe even pep boys or some place like that....

I however did not give any of my hard earned money to ford for stupid tools... I instead made one of my own... Took a small piece of copper pipe cut in half to make two equal "half moon" shapes... pushed them down beside the fuel rail and voila off came the rails.... FREE TOOL :) I've learned that in my dealing with cars there are always specialty tools needed for certain vehicles. However I rarely have such speacialty items... But I've gotten good at jury rigging them up :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am talking about the clips inside that metal casing on the engine side of the filter...i cant get a screw driver up in there and i dont see how a fuel line disconnect tool would help.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
you can pick up a cheap plastic set of the fuel line disconnect tools at autozone, they are really small and fit on the piece of filter, then slide in and depress the metal clips allowing the filter to be removed. when you're done either put them aside, or take them back.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Take a good size pair of wire cutters or sheet metal cutters and cut off the filter from that connection. then you will have all the room you need for the screw driver. And on my replacment filter it came with a clip that does not need a tool, so I will no longer have to buy that tool ( at least not for fuel filters).

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i figured it out about that tool but i cant get it to fit in the little opening so i am going to take it back and get one that will fit that hole. Thanks for the help guys. :D :) :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts