TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i got a big problem, i got a 4.0l ranger its a 93'. the other day i was drivin to school and it just died, so i got it towed to my school since im in auto tech and i have been working on it since. every test i do on it it passes, fuel pump is good spark is good. i cant seem to find the problem, any suggestion would be great thanks alot

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Have you checked all the fuses?

Jay

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
fuel/spark/compression you need to check these three

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea ive checked all of those... i can start it and it will run for about three minutes but then it starts to bog and then turns off.. i was thinking its got to be something electrical but i dont know what..... any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Do you have access to a scanner that can monitor the datastream? What I'm getting at is to make sure the ECU is operating correctly. I've seen it before several times when no codes are present, then come to find out the computer is not even working right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea the scanner is a genesis, its got a datastream and it shows that everthing is operating correctly besides the o2 sensors, but i dont think that would do it, would it?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
O2 sensors shouldn't make a difference when you first start it cause you're in open loop until the engine warms up. The ECU only starts looking at the O2 sensor input when it enters closed loop mode at the proper operating temp. The Genesis should show open loop while monitoring. Check it out and make sure that the ECU isn't trying to kick in closed loop prematurely due to bad inputs or some other malfunction.

I don't know, somebody else here with more EEC-IV experience then me should be able to give you some better troubleshooting steps!

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Did it die at idle or while driving? If it died at idle the IAC valve could be going bad. Also, check the BARO parm on the MAF (should match your altitude).

Other things could be a bad crank signal, investigate and wiggle that wiring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O2 sensors shouldn't make a difference when you first start it cause you're in open loop until the engine warms up. The ECU only starts looking at the O2 sensor input when it enters closed loop mode at the proper operating temp. The Genesis should show open loop while monitoring. Check it out and make sure that the ECU isn't trying to kick in closed loop prematurely due to bad inputs or some other malfunction.

I don't know, somebody else here with more EEC-IV experience then me should be able to give you some better troubleshooting steps!

Good luck with it!

yea the genesis that i am using monitors open and closed loop it does start in open then goes to close but i dont know if its goin in prematurely, what do you think would be about the recommended time?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did it die at idle or while driving? If it died at idle the IAC valve could be going bad. Also, check the BARO parm on the MAF (should match your altitude).

Other things could be a bad crank signal, investigate and wiggle that wiring.
the first time it died i was doing about 50, but it also does it at idle, when it starts to die i cant get it over 1000rpm

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
I suspect it is your DIS module going bad. Sometimes when they are going, they will work fine when cold but when they get hot, the car dies.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Distributorless Ignition System control module.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
yea the genesis that i am using monitors open and closed loop it does start in open then goes to close but i dont know if its goin in prematurely, what do you think would be about the recommended time?
You say it goes into close-loop, but it should take awhile before it does. Like when the water temperature hits some programmed temperature (I don't know what temperature, some of these EEC guys here would know that), but it should take awhile. I can tell when mine does cause the car gets more powerful when it goes into closed-loop.

If it goes into closed loop really quickly, maybe the temp sensor is bad and lying to the computer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You say it goes into close-loop, but it should take awhile before it does. Like when the water temperature hits some programmed temperature (I don't know what temperature, some of these EEC guys here would know that), but it should take awhile. I can tell when mine does cause the car gets more powerful when it goes into closed-loop.

If it goes into closed loop really quickly, maybe the temp sensor is bad and lying to the computer.
i checked my ECT it came out to be fine, ill check it again when i go back to shop, the only 2 things that i have found out to be bad is 1 O2 sensor and every now and then i loose spark but not dramatically, not enough to kill it
i appreciate everyones imput its helping me alot

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok everyone i got her up and running! she runs like a champ... all i did was disconnected the battery for about a half an hour and changed the O2 sensor and she runs great now.....i dont understand why that fixed it but ill take it
thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Well, we kind of figured it was the computer somehow. Good job and Godspeed!

~Richard

1 - 20 of 20 Posts