TCCoA Forums banner

I need help. My car is stuck in park.

871 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  hotbird 
#1 ·
My car won't come out of park. I finally gave up messing with it and got a lift home. Is the white switch on the brake pedal the one that controls it? Is there anything in the ignition that could cause this problem or is the switch the only thing that it could be? This happened to me once before about 2 years ago. I messed with it for 5 minutes and it's been fine ever since. Until now.

#2 ·
Do your brake lights work? It could be the BOO switch. I also had this happen on a 96 Cougar and the shifter cable had broken.

Jay

#3 ·
I've been reading some threads on it. I'm about to drive down there and check the lights. I don't think the cable is broken since this happened once before. It's been so long since it happened that I can't remember what I did besides try to mess with the switch and wiggle the shifter.

#4 ·
I got it. The stop/hazard fuse was burnt on one side. I replaced it and its working fine. Now i just have to get a ride back to my car. I'm thinking about walking. If it was a little warmer and there was a little less chance of me getting rained on I'd do it in a heartbeat.

#6 ·
So I just got back from my walk. It was probably about a mile or so. I just can't stand to have my car sitting somewhere unattended and my wife won't be home for a couple of hours and I'm bored. Of course it was the only size fuse I didn't have but Autozone was right up the street.

#7 ·
Does anyone have any idea why the fuse would have burned up? It never blew the fuse but the metal was burned on one side and the plastic had started melting. It's the stop/hazard fuse. I don't know what else it would go to.

#9 ·
I hate it when fuses don't do their jobs. Personally, I think cars should have manual reset breakers like aircraft do, but even breakers sometimes fail to work. I replaced the 2 factory breakers in my car with manual reset ones, those auto-reset ones get HOT when there is a problem.

I melted a fuse on the Fox 'Bird, the cheap chinese-made relay that came with the foglights shorted out and damn near caught my harness on fire, the fuse melted and opened the circuit, but never actually blew. Replaced the relay with a Potter & Brumfield, never had a problem since. So yes, make sure you check your 3rd brake light bulbs.

Do these cars have a problem with melting down the radiator cooling fan fuse? I think I've read of a couple incidents where the fuse melted and took the panel out with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.