TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 90 t bird 3.8 v6 and im having problems with my car. its shurrtering real bad when i drive it. i have recently had a lot of gas mileage decrease. the shuttering has started to get worse. sometimes it well jerk real hard as if its gonna cut off. if i hammer on it then it doesnt do n e thing. some people i know tha twork at a frod dealer ship said it was a tune up. did that and it still did it. i was told by more peopel it could be the torqure converter or the caddialac converter. but my exhaust system is all one peice from the engine to the tail pipe. does anyone have a idea what could be causing my car to do this. thkz alot.:confused:

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Hello...

I don't have a 1990 Service Manual, but I would guess that possible causes of the problems you're experiencing would be similar between most model years' vehicles.

By 'shuddering' - do you mean the engine's RPMs drop noticably? Or is it a vibration felt though the drive train?

If it's the first choice, the problem may be with the air intake system, Idle Air Control, EGR system, or Mass Air Flow sensor. These items could cause a drop in fuel efficiency; misaligned wheels will, also. If the Check Engine light is on, a code reading will assist in determining what the possible cause may be.

Hang in there, as I am certain other folks will post additional ideas and assistance.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
The tech articles show how to clean a dirty MAF. If one of the little wires are broken, you'll have to get a new MAF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts