TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 tbird v-6 BTW. I just need some instructions in how to remove the rear and front springs/coil

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
The rears are a piece of cake. All you have to do is:

Disconnect the shock from the Lower Control Arm (LCA)
Disconnect the swaybar endlink from the LCA
Remove the bottom two bolts that connect the knuckle and LCA.
Push down on the LCA with your foot.
Have a friend yank out the spring.

Fronts are a little harder, and there's a few ways to do it. I did it by taking off the LCAs and sliding them out. You'll have to take them to a shop to mount the springs on your new shocks, which is what I assume you're replacing.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Take the fronts to a shop, unless you are handy with spring compressors and you want to avoid the loss of facial functions. If you are unsure at all, don't do the fronts without someone knowledgeable to assist, like a shop.

I have done struts with spring compressors before, but damage can be done if not done carefully. We like our members here to retain their teeth.

;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thax guys but waht u mean by taking the fronts to mount the springs onto the new shocks? so the shock is in the middle of the springs? and i wasnt planning to get new nw shocks so ow what? I do have access to a spring compressor.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yes, if you look at your front suspension you'll see you have coilover shocks. They are assembled together as a unit. You'll have to take that unit out, take it and your new springs to the shop or use your compressor and take the old springs off the shock and put the new ones on. I'd recommend getting new top shock mounts, and new rear spring isolators while you have it apart. Sometimes you can get away without it, but it never hurts to replace parts.

·
Anything But Typical
1,337 Posts
SloMo228 said:
Disconnect the swaybar endlink from the LCA
[/B]
How do you do this?? We have been trying for an hour. Please post pics if possible.

--Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts