Votes: 32 97.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the situation is this: I hate my PT Cruiser for many reasons, and I'm getting tight on bills, so I'm considering trading it in for a '94 SC that I came across. This will get me a few grand to help out with bills and paying off the auto loan, and it'd be a vehicle I actually like. If I keep my current vehicle, I risk falling way behind on my bills. If I do the trade, I risk having problems and out-of-pocket expenses when parts wear out. Do you think it's wise or worth it to trade my PT for an SC, or do you think it best to stick with what I've got?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Depending on the condition of the pt, i'd say keep it. I guess it also depends on how much the sc is, what's been replaced, and what's owed on the pt.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
We need more details on the SC like maint., etc.... The PT may be killing you in bills right now, but if the SC is to be a daily driver and has not been maintained then I'm afraid that you may end up walking into something more than you bargained for. At least at this point you know the maint. history of the PT. Did you run a Carfax on the SC in question?

We all know that the SC has the possibility of being a money pit, but then again I don't know how strapped you are w/ the PT. Looks like it may be time to seriously crunch the numbers.

IMHO, if you can get away w/ trading the PT for the SC (if it's in good shape), make a few grand and eliminate a car note, then I don't see why not.

Just my .02 :)

Jay

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as the questions posed to me (I had limited time to describe it on my last break), the SC is $4,000 and appears to be in good condition, however I would check it out and test drive it before agreeing to anything. As for the PT, I do not know the maint. history on it, and it's getting very crappy gas mileage (13 and 19 instead of 19 and 25), and the dealership I bought it from refuses to touch it saying I'd be lucky to get 15 city miles, let alone 19. The buying price for the PT was 12,000 (valued at 13,400), and I've only made 4 payments on it.

The reasons I'm wanting to get rid of the PT are the mileage, the height (I hate being far off the ground, which is why I hated driving my dad's truck when my old MN12 was being fixed), it's harder to maneuver and turn than my old car, and I've never liked the PT Cruisers to begin with. I only bought it because I literally had no choice (no cash and no transport to look at other options). I realize the SC could have mechanical problems, which is why I wanted other people's opinions on the matter.

Oh, and the SC is a blue auto (I can't drive a stick).

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last Mrk said:
Find out if you can, if the head gaskets have ever been replaced. That's a common problem with the 3.8, especially the SC's.

Is there any way I can tell if the dealership doesn't know?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Id say dump the PT, my buddy is in a similar spot with his car. The car payments are cutting into money needed for other things. Even if the SC needs some work itll be way less than making payments on a newer car.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blue LS said:
Id say dump the PT, my buddy is in a similar spot with his car. The car payments are cutting into money needed for other things. Even if the SC needs some work itll be way less than making payments on a newer car.

I'd still have to pay off the loan on the PT, but the extra money from the trade-in should help that out if I can get the SC.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
PT cruiser.. minivan on a neon frame.. dump the sh!t

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One other question I had that I need answered. If the head gaskets haven't been replaced and go bad, how expensive and how difficult is it to have them replaced?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Rally said:
One other question I had that I need answered. If the head gaskets haven't been replaced and go bad, how expensive and how difficult is it to have them replaced?
you can get both sides done for around $900, it is one of the harder things to do, but anyone willing can get it done over the weekend. It is listed as a 10 hour job for both sides (professional mechanic). BTW, I would personally go for the SC, I always wanted one, and if I didn't live in Michigan I would probably have one.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I checked out the SC yesterday (the physical aspects, anyway), and it's in somewhat rough condition. The paint was fading and chipped in some spots, with rust showing through. It also was missing the driver's side mirror. It had the housing and electric motor, but no mirror. The leather inside was also worn out and ripped on the back seat. Because of this, I can't trust the motor.

However, I did find out about some better options. A high-mileage (145,000) 1994 V8 XR-7, and a low-mileage (47,000) 1995 V6 LX. I'm probably going to look into those instead, as they seemed to be in much better condition.

·
Registered
789 Posts
For a little less you could get a 4.6LX. Still better than a PT

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Get the SC! If you're good with budgeting and put some $ away every month for a rainy day, the maintenance expenses won't be a problem

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
If your concerned with maintenence being an issue dont get an SC. Ive been around here long enough to know that a 4.6 bird will give you a lot less trouble then an SC. I would look for a 96-97 V8 with decent miles. The only thing you really gotta worry about on them is the intake manifold and now that these cars are getting older you will find more and more with that already replaced.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
I also agree with what a few already said.

Why not look for a 96+ 4.6L! Much better reliability than the SC. Try and find one in good condition, with lower miles. Heck there are a few on these forums, that I'd love to get. Blake is selling his Bird for a tad over 4000.

But that's just me!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts