TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a pioneer 6300 cd player. I also have XM radio and a CD changer. The XM radio work great, but for some reason it seems like the ground are messed up the the CD changer.

Here is how its all hooked up. The cable runs from the head unit to the XM receiver in the trunk. Then its grounded to the back seat frame. Then the CD changer plugs into the XM receiver. And it was ground to just about everything in the trunk (I tired everywhere) The head unit finds the changer and the xm. But the xm works and the changers just ticks though the speakers and keeps changing though the disc (you can hear it) But if you take the ground off the XM radio and ground the changer, then the changer works fine.

Iv messed with this about 6 months ago and gave up. But I was trying again today with no luck. I tired to ground the changer inside the car and still didn't work.

I thought I would let the audio people here try getting this straight.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
The easiest way to avoid ground loop problems is to have only one path to the battery positive and negative from each component.

This means that all your components draw power from the same point and are all grounded to the same point.

It sounds in this case that you should extend the ground wires of your XM, head unit and changer to one point and ground it WELL. Go ahead and scrape off the paint and use a bolt/nut not just a sheet metal screw. Use real lug connectors not wires wrapped around things.

If this doesn't do it, then I'd suggest having the changer checked out by a competent repair shop....especially if it's still under warranty.

Oh, one more thing. NEVER rely on the case mounting of any unit to be it's ground. It may technically work, but it's not the way the designer intended it.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that having everything grounded to the same point was my problem. Cuz i have 1 power wire runing to the trunk and then I had everything grounded to the same point. I used my dremal and grinded all the paint off really good too. Then i used a nut and bolt with a washer to hold them down. Well maybe I will rerun all my wires cuz im gonna get a cap soon. so then I can make sure everything is all good. It was like 90 outside today so it was a little hot to screw with everthing. And tomorrow will be 100 :(

BTW: its really nice you see you around here more Sir William. You advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
BlackTbird96 said:
BTW: its really nice you see you around here more Sir William. You advice is greatly appreciated.
I'm always around, I just don't always post a lot. It's a LOT easier to keep up with things now with the new forum, so I'll be on here more.

Now I just gotta hit the lottery so I can get my car somewhere closer to done.

·
Registered
267 Posts
did the ground corrode? put some vaseline or electric grease on it so it dosnt corrode. might not be the problem but it will prevent it in the future.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts