To swap or not to swap that is the question

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok most of my friends know about my problem with my bird pooping on me the other day
half say do a 351w swap the other half say keep it stock so i wanted to see what you guys had to say
both sides have good points
the car was a theft recovery car so its got a rebuilt salvage title and it will never be worth as much as if it werent, and gas milage isnt much to worry about eaither as i have a neon i drive normaly keep that in mind while you vote
thanks for the input:)

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
If you have to swap, go big.

If it already has the 2.3 5 speed stick with it.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
It isn't worth it to swap a 351 into that car. If you want a 351 bird, find one that already has a 5.0 in it, as it will be a far less valuable car, and a much easier place to start since a 351 is very similar to the 5.0, and you could use all the 5.0 bird's wiring and computer.

Also, some of those 2.3turbo motors are putting down some impressive numbers, so I'm sure for the money you would invest in a 351 swap, you could have a legit turbo coupe that would be faster.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I totally agree if it already had a v8 in it would make an easy swap since it doesnt your looking at a whole mess of Custom work.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
If you want to go 351 carbed it isn't that big of a deal as far as wiring. The motor will bolt right in. Not sure what motor mounts to use but there are a million 'Stangs running around with 351's. You will need a different transmission and a custom driveshaft. You would also need to run new exhaust.
Since you have a 5 speed it should be 3.55's and Trak-Loc from the factory. Hooking up to 351 cubic inches should make it quite the monster.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it was going to be a carbed 351 if there are enough votes for it + i know more about them and i hate wires lol

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Toy

Hello

Make A Toy!

Twin turbo
Super charged
N0S

You need to find parts First.

I would make a list of items needed for each rebuild. Try to find these items first!

Then make up your mind & Have Fun!

For Me, I have a 85 T coupe. When I purchased the car had had a 302 & C4
C4 is bad. I'm going to install a 306(302+.030) with Edelbrock induction, & a 3+1 4 speed(rug).
Maybe later upgrade to a 351C or a roots blower for the 302.

My 351W & AOD are in my 1990 Circle track Thunderbird.

Paul

·
Registered
161 Posts
Be different. Go with a twin turbo 2.3 :cool: Turbos are a dime a dozen on eBay and craigslist. You could get some very substantial numbers if you went that way....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts