TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, long story short, I decided to do some preventative maintence on the rust on my '96 before the winter hits here and the road salt eats more of the hood and quarterpanels away. There were a few small areas on the hood that had some surface rust that I ground off down to bare metal and sanded with no problem. I bought a good primer and a can of touch up paint to spray over it, but here's where I'm running into trouble. I masked off the area with tape and covered the surrounding area with paper, and the primer went on without any trouble. I sanded that coat and added another coat, then sanded again and added a few coats of the black paint, then finishing with a few sprays of clearcoat. I let it dry and removed the tape, and it left a ridge in the paint and allowed the black to peel off in some places, leaving exposed primer. Needless to say, it looked like ***.

So, my question is what did I screw up and how can I make the touch-up area look somewhat decent?

DISCLAIMER: I am fully aware that my car needs a proper paint job, this is only a temporary fix until the summer when I have a full time job and don't have to worry about school.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts