TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to an exhaust shop a few days ago and had some work done. The welder removed my catalytic converter system and welded up a new catless Y-pipe assembly with bungs for my four O2 sensors. I made MIL eliminators for the downstream O2s (working great!) and it got rid of my PO420/PO430 codes that have been plaguing me for some time now. Needless to say, the exhaust is much louder now. It does has a nice Roush GT Mustang rumble at idle, but when the engine hits a certain RPM I get a resonating buzz (for a lack of better description) coming out of the tips. I was more than happy with the exhaust dB and pitch before this mod. I run a Delta 40 series catback by Flowmaster, which I do not plan on changing. I spoke to the exhaust shop and they recommended a long glasspack after the Y-pipe to cure the problem. My only experience with glasspacks are with my friends' old pickups. Do you guys think it will quiet it down and remove the raspy buzzing?

·
Registered
387 Posts
It should help out. I'm running no cats with a straight through magnaflow and its all most to quite.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Exhaust always boils down to personal preference; I say do the glasspack and see if you like it!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I tried this on my 1995. It sounded awesome at idle, sounded like crap while driving. Get some Magnaflow cats and try again.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I had the True duals done with no cats, and a single dual in/dual out magnaflow. sounded great but was just a tad too loud for a Tbird (in my opinion). So I just had the exhaust shop install a couple glasspacks at the very end with chrome tips welded directly on the glasspacks. Sounds great.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Who needs quiet? 2.5 duals with some dynomax bullets. Actually sounds louder with the bullets than straight piped, which isn't uncommon as far as I've read. I can go get a video if you wanna hear loud.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get plenty of attention as it is. I enjoy my tunes and don't want a loud obnoxious noise that I can't turn down on the fly. It's got plenty of rumble. I'll try and make a sound clip.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I get plenty of attention as it is. I enjoy my tunes and don't want a loud obnoxious noise that I can't turn down on the fly. It's got plenty of rumble. I'll try and make a sound clip.
I hear you on that. I was thinking of adding some 2010-12 mustang stock take off mufflers on my car. I was told they are from borla but branded with Ford. true or false? don't know but most I see on CL are cheap and they sound good. But, I like my car a bit on the quiet side.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Exhaust is all personal preference. Im in the middle of pieceing together mine. Im going to run true dual 2.5" or 3" straight pipe. No cats.. All this pipe will meet into 2 32" glasspacks perside. Im running basically a quad exhaust but true dual up to the door frames then quad from there.

Im not sure how the back pressure will work on that but if its a problrm ill just stick to my true duals.

These new cherry bombs anit worth squat!. If you want some real sound order you some " ol' school glasspacks" from jegs.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Exhaust is all personal preference. Im in the middle of pieceing together mine. Im going to run true dual 2.5" or 3" straight pipe. No cats.. All this pipe will meet into 2 32" glasspacks perside. Im running basically a quad exhaust but true dual up to the door frames then quad from there.

Im not sure how the back pressure will work on that but if its a problrm ill just stick to my true duals.

These new cherry bombs anit worth squat!. If you want some real sound order you some " ol' school glasspacks" from jegs.
Four tailpipes?
All that weight over your rear axle doesn't seem like it would be worth it but whatever rocks your boat. If the goal is to have four tips, why not look at a glasspack with dual exit tips?
-g

1 - 13 of 13 Posts