TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess she could not go the distance...

With two more days of road duty left, my Bird decided she had enough, that I neglected her much to long. I had been remiss on maintence as I knew at this time she would be getting a new heart as well as other upgrades and some cosmetic surgery.

I opened my garage to take out some garbage. Walkng back in I notice a river of red fluid coming out from under my poor bird, almost to the driveway. First I get some oil sorbs to help dry up the mess. My first thought was trans. A quick look under the car reveals that the source is well in front of it. My next thought is maybe one of the cooler let go. I get in the car and start it up to back out and get a closer look. I determine at this point that it must be a problem in the steering, as there is none. Pop the hood, check the reservoir and find it practically empty. I look under the car and see Niagra falls. More sorbs under the car and park it.

The old heart is set to come out this week. The new engine will be enroute. Many have wanted to know what the final product will be. I kept it under wraps for many reasons (mostly because I kept changing my mind!). Word of advice to all, when starting a project, set goals and a budget and stick to it! I did all this so wrong but managed to salvage it and in the end will hopefully turn out to be a nice little ride!

Now the details:

The Explorer engine is no more. Sold along with many other parts to get the new mill.

Renegade Ported NPI heads with all the goodies, previously enjoyed, low miles off Goldbird(Thanks Mike)
Comp Cams XE 268H cams
Renegage forged short block consisting of:
Windsor block
Cobra crank
Manley forged rods with ARP2000 rod bolts
Diamond pistons that will yield a 9.0 CR
SVO blower, ported by Magnum powers, running 9lb pulley
3300 Stall converter
Kooks headers
Custom true dual exhaust

There are other things happening at the same time. Hope to have a complete phot library from start to finish.

Let the games begin!:D

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
That really stinks. Sorry to hear about that. But at least you were only two DAYS
and not two MONTHS from the change!

Are you doing all the work at your place or in pbg?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Preston,

We will be in PBG. the original plan was to go up to Stuart Wednesday to see Mike's guy for exhaust and paint. Then drop it at Tim's to start. Short block is supposed to arrive the week of 7/12. I have to send the oil pan to Michigan for some custom work. I have plenty to do so not having the engine right away does not set me back. If it is not an easy fix for the PS then it probably goes to his house on a flat bed.

Brian,

I would start earlier if I could but I have some much needed r&r scheduled in Key West with the family. I'll need every minute of it!

I have to stock Tim's fridge with beverages so any of the local guys stop by whenever we are there. With all luck engine comes out next Saturday.:cool:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
John,

You've got a good solid plan and an assortment of top quality components. She's gonna be sweet.

-mike

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mike. Your advice has helped throughout this project. Very much appreciated!

Update:

Started taking things apart Thursday. The engine had been out of this car about 4 years ago for extended warranty work. Needless to say things were not 100%. Stripped hardware, over tightened hardware made for an interesting first day. Prbably have about 3 hours worth of work before she is ready for the hoist. Working in the Florida heat is no fun! I respect all who have outside jobs in this state!

Hope to get some pics with tim's camera today. Will see what happens. Fingers crossed!:D

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Palmguy said:
Did you get the PSPFH out yet? ;)

Just kidding...good luck today John, make sure you've got water out there in all seriousness...heat index of over 105 today :eek:
Looking for house with a large garage that I can get my car in and air condition! :) Oh and put in a lift.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
tbirdbrain said:

if you do that, fair warning, it better have a lot of bedrooms! we promise to be there a lot:D
As long as someone brings me some beer. :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It came out yesterday. Tim posted some pics in the T-bird forum n the Modular depot. I still live in the stome age and do not own a digital camera yet! Only one wrinkle but nothing to do with the engine removal. Will have to deal with that on Monday.:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts