TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I should've took the advice of all I've read here through my searches. I just replaced my upper control arms, lower ball joints and frame side strut rod bushings along with a set of Eibach springs. My first driving impression was "Great! No more clunking!" Then I started to hear a little clunk now and then, and it got progressively worse to the point that it sounded just like it did before. I got it to the alignment shop and the tech put it on the rack, then called me back to have a look at something. One of the strut rod bushings I'd installed just yesterday had already split apart and was crumbling to pieces! Cheap Chinese crap is all that I can say about them. They were the "OE Brand" from Advance Auto Parts.

On my way home I stopped by the parts store to show them and the first thing out of their mouth was "Looks like you over tightened them." I asked how I could do that when there's a steel sleeve inside that the washers bottom out on before the correct torque is reached, and why did one side crumble while the other side appeared fine? After a little haggling I talked to the store manager and he agreed they were crap bushings and he'd order the Moog brand for me.

Moral of the story is listen to the experience of others and don't buy the cheap bushings or you'll be doing the job twice; maybe even doing it again the very next day like me! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
12,556 Posts
Wow. :eek:

Thanks for sharing your story.

Agreed go OEM or do it again...

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Moog are crap for the strut rod as well.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
hey chris, how are the front suspension pieces holding up on the 95? i'm curious how the scp pieces hold up over time...since those have been on the car almost two years now...

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Lowers look great, uppers need replacing, endlinks need replacing, everything else looks good.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I put on moogs when i bought my car. They are holding up just fine. The guy before i bought it put on OE brand and I bought moog on the way home from buying the car.

·
Super Moderator
12,556 Posts
Moog is fine for UCA's and LCA's but you want OEM for the frame and LCA side strut rod bushings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I just put the Moog's on mine and they seem to be much, much (!) better than the OE Brand that I had originally put on it. They may not last as long as the OEM rubber bushings but I feel I'm a whole lot better off now than I was before. Maybe later I'll try to score a set of OEM rubber bushings. I did save the originals just in case I needed the metal parts. Seems like I read on here that the originals (bushings only) could still be bought for around $40, but if you had to buy the whole shebang it was more like $240 :eek:

The thing with the OE Brand bushings that should've tipped me off right away was how freakin' hard they were. I mean they were nearly the consistency of hard plastic. I thought to myself "These are never gonna last, but it's what I can afford so I'll get 'em now and upgrade later." I'm just glad they failed so quickly because I would've been severely ticked off if I'd have just paid $80 for an alignment only to have to do it again because of those crappy bushings. It would seem that at my age I'd have learned by now: Buy good parts and pay up front or buy cheap parts and pay more later by chasing down problems and "putting out fires."

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
im sorry unless you buy the factory ford ones there junk there not made near the same i can tell you that the aftermarkets are just junk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what you guys are telling me is that the Moogs will split and fall apart too? :confused: Great, something else to look forward to. On the other hand if they last a year or two I'll be in a better financial shape and can afford to revisit this area and go with the OEM rubber ones.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
the oem ford ones at control arm are far superior than aftermarket junk also a the frame the oem ford shine compared to the aftermarkets ive seen the brand new aftermarts rip thru the frame in one hard stop

but just my 2 cents ui wish u luck

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Its true, the blue moog thermoplastic strut rod bushings arent worth a crap. Motorcraft bushings are black rubber and install with no problems. It has been many years and they are still in one piece!
-Rob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, so far the Moogs have held up twice as long as the OE Brand did :gapteeth:

I know history shows they won't last as long as the factory ones, but this is what I have for now so I'm gonna roll with it. When the time comes I'll throw some OEM bushings in there :D

P.S.-Off topic question: What the heck is with all the pop-ups when I accidentally move my mouse over a highlighted word?

·
Super Moderator
5,132 Posts
P.S.-Off topic question: What the heck is with all the pop-ups when I accidentally move my mouse over a highlighted word?
It's how Authority Auto Network makes it money - the guy that bought the site from Sir William (and is paying Sir William to host it, go figure.)

/me LURVES some AdBlock

RwP

1 - 18 of 18 Posts