TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i have my heat on (usually the defroster) i can smell antifreeze. I know this is a sign that my heater core is bad. I was wondering if it might be something else, since i only smell it about once a week. If not, how long do you think the core will last, it does not seem to be losing alot of fluid, nor does any seem to be showing up on the carpet or anywhere inside. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Usually the biggest sign I look for is the foggy windshield right above the defroster vents. I dont know why you would occasionally smell it. You are actually losing coolant and having to add it?

Now a story in the private life of Robert Hammer...I smelt antifreeze today for about 5-10 seconds while the heater was running with windows down. First thing I glanced at was the floorboard to make sure I didn't see any water running. The next thing I saw was a POS Saturn in front of me. Im almost certain it was the Saturn since the smell disappeared a couple of seconds after it turned onto another road and I havent smelt it again today....yet :)
-Rob

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yeah I hate pulling up next door or driving by a unkept car. Everytime I smell coolant, hear brakes squeal, or suspension parts rattling my heart skips a beat hoping its not mine.
Hopefully this is all that happened in your situation too!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unfortunately it has happened about 3-4 times in the last month, one of those being in my driveway at 2:30 in the morning without another car in sight

·
Registered
921 Posts
Well it's a long shot but you can have your coolant system pressure tested to give you an idea if you have a small leak or not. I don't know if it would show up on that test(I've only had one coolant leak and that was a very very VERY blown headgasket). Thats my nickel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mine has 141,000 on her and i have fixed everything but the heater core, i don't really want to get into it. It might be about the time to throw a retirement party for my old bird.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Dont go out like that man. Heater cores are cheap and not hard to replace if it even came to that. If you really are concerned about it leaking, go get it pressure tested and find out where shes leaking. If the temp is fine, and the coolant level is staying put, I wouldn't worry about it myself.
-Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts