TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '95 4.6L Cougar since it was new and take great care of it (81k miles). Yesterday, driving home from work I all of a sudden smelled coolant. The temp was good and it was running great. I got home and there were no visible leaks so I figured it was the guy in front of me. Well, it happened again today so I know it's me. No leaks, no coolant loss, nothing. Bad cap? Head gasket leak? Bad thermostat? What the heck is it?

texmln

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
Turn your defroster on.

If you smell that sweet odor your heater core might have sprung a leak. It is by far one of the worst jobs on any car. The problem is it is not grounded properly and over time develops a leak. Look in the articles section for a detailed info of this common problem.

Dr.F

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heater core

Well, now I've got white smoke out of the vents, I bet it's the heater core. Anybody know how much this fix will cost me at the dealer?

·
Registered
117 Posts
do something custom!

i put 3 in , in less than a year, the factory part is a POS!
the answer is to get a brass one from autozone , it will have to be modified , i havent found a good one with the ports leaning to one side yet, (4.6 models) so i have factory crap still in there, but its unhooked right now, i bet it'll blow in a day after i rehook it,
"SHE's gonna Blow !"

:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, a $1100

You're pretty close, the quote from the local Mercury dealer was $1,100. Not worth the trouble for me so I guess my Cougar is "for sale - needs a heater core".

texmln

·
Registered
621 Posts
Does this happen to the 96-97 Tbirds too? If so, is there any way to prevent this from happening?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Somone needs to invent a stainless steel core. I know that it is not that efficent in transfering heat, but it probably would last 400,000 times longer than the lead/pot metal that they use now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
if you look @ how ...

they are made like crap, pressed together aluminum,
mine have failed from pressure, electrolysis doesnt happen in 2 weeks ,
i blew out 2 in like 3 months, even after i got the little restrictor in the hose, it didnt help either.
im sure the answer is to get a brass one and make it work, it will last 100 times longer.

·
Registered
510 Posts
My guess is that are designed to fail. It seems like a big business changing the cores, in almost all cars, not just fords. Every car I have ever owned for more than 10yrs have had heater core troubles! BTW, why do radiators not fail like heater cores do, because radiators are fairly easy to replace, not thousands of bucks in labor. (Heater core cost - $29 Labor - $969).

·
Registered
621 Posts
W.Cup said:
My guess is that are designed to fail. It seems like a big business changing the cores, in almost all cars, not just fords. Every car I have ever owned for more than 10yrs have had heater core troubles! BTW, why do radiators not fail like heater cores do, because radiators are fairly easy to replace, not thousands of bucks in labor. (Heater core cost - $29 Labor - $969).
Yes, it makes me feel queezy when you have to pay more for labor than the part is worth... just doesn't seem right.

Well, do you think the heatercores could be busting due to electrolysis from the combination of different metals? If so, some water wetter or like substance could probably prevent that from happening.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts