TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been late in reporting this but i FINALLY stepped up and bought wheels. i went with the saleen speedstars, chrome 18s from brad.

i really like the choice...was not a big chrome/bling fan but its growing on me particularly since i already have the polished roush wheels on my stang....so its a nice change.

my next step is to replace my headlights and corners...they are OE and showing age. i have a friend with a new porter cable so i'll be putting some wax on it soon.

i also got the michelin raptor tires due to the goodyear shortages. they have lots of grip compared to my old bald set! now that i see them on the car, i think would prefer a bit more tread width so the sidewall is more vertical rather than curved in, but its more of a preference thing for me. it also seems like my fender gap is bigger now than when i had the 245/60/15s on there.

i know this is worthless without pics...i have some, just no where to post them.

brad and his folks delivered on their quote so i think they're a solid bunch of guys. we are lucky to have support like that for tbirds. thanks brad!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
what size tires are you using? i can't see an 18" rim with a tire shorter than a 245/50/16.i have 2 '94sc's and on 1 i have intrax springs,stock rims with 245/50/16's and on the other i have eibach springs,265/40/18 tires with black saleen speedstars. the 245's are about an inch shorter than stock tires and the 265's are the same height as stock 225/60/16's

i looked back at the thread and saw it said 245/60/15 instead of 245/50/16, my bust
i believe most people run a 255/40/18 tire

·
Registered
2,656 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had the stock fan wheels on there with 245/60/15s.

the new set are 245/45/18. i'd consider more tire if i did it again but i am picking nits here.

my roush has 265/35/18 on the front of it...the fender gap is small but so is the sidewall. it also has a reduced turning ratio to avoid rubs.

tbird has suspension tech lowering springs, and the gap appears just a tad bigger with the new wheels. if i didnt have trouble with bottoming out i would clip the springs to get it just a bit lower. like i said, a preference thing.

the photos brad posted of the mark viii with the speedstars have a great profile. i decided i needed to be able to rotate the tires, so i went with the same size front and rear.

sinhumane, i sent some pics to you. thanks for the help

again, 2 point of the post:
i got new wheels, whaddaya all think?
props to brad on his support and service.

bill

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
I have nothing but great things to say about Brad as well... he's the man at answering my dumbass questions! Speedstars will look great on your car, cant wait to see pics. 245-45-18 is a great size to go with on the 18's, they're the closest to stock I believe. 245-60-15's are 27.5" tall, over half an inch taller than stock... so yeah there is more gap now! I wanted to have a little beefier tire as well, so I went with 255-45-18's on mine... fill things out a bit nicer. Cant wait for pics!

-Joel

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have pretty much come to think that the 245-45-18 is a good size for the LX & a perfect size for the SC...The LX would look a lil better with the 255-45-18 but the risk and issues of rubbing are what I have a problem with.

As has been said many times before. The 255-45-18 rubs a lil bit on the plastic fender skirts in the front when turning. AND there is a chance of rubbing the rear fender lips as well with the added width. So if ya don't mind dealing with those issues to run the tires rub free then it is an option.

Going to a 255-40-18 is definatley NOT the answer because its too short IMO but that all depends on just HOW low your car is. I don't think running this tire would be a problem in the way of safety at all though.

Lastly...I appreciate all the kind words fellas. This has turned into a great hobby for me in many aspects and being a fellow MN12 enthusiest. Its funny to me when I talk to manufacturers about doing specific wheel builds for this car. They look at me like I am nuts or something...:) ...They just don't get it...Its a great car with a great following of car nuts just like me.:tongue:

Cheers,

Brad

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
i can't wait to see the pics! I personally would have wanted the 255/45 tire because of it being slightly taller. I don't imagine that the 245/45 tires look bad though. I'm guessing the steering response from that tire/wheel combo is Much better than the stock tire/wheel combo. :D

I am curious Bill....can you measure to see what the height of your car is from the ground to the bottom of the fender on the front and rear. I have ST springs also and was just curious how it dropped other people's car since my rear never dropped down right. Thanks.

Russell

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can't wait to see the pics! I personally would have wanted the 255/45 tire because of it being slightly taller. I don't imagine that the 245/45 tires look bad though. I'm guessing the steering response from that tire/wheel combo is Much better than the stock tire/wheel combo. :D

I am curious Bill....can you measure to see what the height of your car is from the ground to the bottom of the fender on the front and rear. I have ST springs also and was just curious how it dropped other people's car since my rear never dropped down right. Thanks.

Russell
the distance from ground to fender lip is 27 7/8 inches front and rear. i sent the pix to sinhumane yesterday; hopefully he can put them up soon.

i think it looks great - especially on the black cars.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
the distance from ground to fender lip is 27 7/8 inches front and rear. i sent the pix to sinhumane yesterday; hopefully he can put them up soon.

i think it looks great - especially on the black cars.

Thanks very much for measuring. Mine is 26 7/8" in the front and 28 1/8" in the rear. I was just curious at how the ST springs lowered your car.

Russell

·
Registered
2,656 Posts

that is a dayum sexy lookin birdie...

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Thats not a Birdie... and it isnt that sexy lookin.

-Joel

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
psssshhh.. dont hate...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
not a bird... are you guys not seeing the same pictures as me?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
wait.... how did.... ehhhhh.......... wrong pictures..... i have them.. and it looks really sweet.. that was a coug i was helping sum1 else sell...

did that work?.... fudge... i will upload them when i get home....

now it should be a bird!!!

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Still not a Bird.

-Joel

1 - 20 of 36 Posts