TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I found my parents had got me something interesting. There was an envelope, with a bill of sale in it, for a '97 T-Bird. It was the one I've had my eye on for awhile. Red, 4.6. It does need a little work, some of the dash panels are broke, there's something funky with the steering (It's like it's binding up. I'll be checking it later on the hoist) and a bunch of other just minor flaws.

Pics will be comeing soon

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Way to go, Santa must like you, must have been a good boy this year! :D Pictures for sure!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Any ideas as far as your future plans for the car?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got one too but I had to buy my own! :(

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll take some pics tommrow, it spent most of today on the hoist with all four tires off.

I'm planning to make it look pretty good, touch up the paint, good stereo, and eventually, a PI swap

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
56K warning now in place

As promiced, here are some pics. I didn't get too many. It's raining, and my camera batteries ran dead. I'll get more later, when it stops raining. I'll get some with the '92

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well I Could Say That I Got My Parts Car For Christmas........eventhough It Was A Few Days Before And Ive Already Stripped It Apart....and Congrats On The Car Its Not Bad At All. With Age Anything Needs A Little Tlc Every Now And Again. Good Luck

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, pretty classy customization, eh? Those trim panels arn't too much. I've actually got a list of all that I need to do to 'er. This is what I have to do

Lube/Oil/Filter
Replace Multi-Function switch
Replace instrument control bezel – all screws
Replace heater control bezel – all screws
Replace defroster switch
Tires – 225/60-16
Replace power antenna
New belt
Replace spark plugs – platinum
Rewire stereo
K&N filter or equivalent
Touch up paint. E-9
Replace Rack and Pinion assy.
Replace fuel filter
OD button inop.

I'm begining to think that I got one of the sport models. The 16 wheels, and three leg spoiler were only on the sports, right?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Both are easily added on. Check the tech article for sway bar diameters, front brakes, and spring codes.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I never got the measurements, but the swaybars sure looked bigger than the ones on my '92, the rotors were definetely bigger, springs look the same as the SC ones on the '92. Tommrow I'll look up everything, but I'm pretty sure it's a Sport. The rear package tray is even the right one for having the three leg

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I would cross the K&N filter off of your list (assuming you mean a flat panel filter, and not the cone)

A simple search on the subject will reveal that they do nothing other than dirty up your MAF sensor.

Absolutely no power or fuel mileage gain.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been running a K&N on the '92 for just shy of two years with no problems. I think what the problem is people over oil

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Kelsey Smith said:
I've been running a K&N on the '92 for just shy of two years with no problems. I think what the problem is people over oil
Ditto. I've been running a K&N in some way, shape, or form since a week after I bought the Cougar (Feb. 2002). No problems whatsoever.

·
8,239 Posts
Wish the folks would buy me a 97 sport!

First "mod"

Should be to change all the fluids, and do all the maintenance.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
Ditto. I've been running a K&N in some way, shape, or form since a week after I bought the Cougar (Feb. 2002). No problems whatsoever.
That's all fine and dandy, but I disagree. My own personal experience is the opposite.

There are people (some of them experts) who also believe that the filter allows more sand to pass thru it. That is definitely not good. I happen to agree with that opinion.

More importantly, there is no performance gain, or fuel mileage increase with a K&N flat panel filter.

Think about it - a stock 4.6 engine requires 550 cfm of air to operate. A stock paper filter allows 750 cfm to pass thru it. That statement there shows that the stock air filter is not causing any restrictions.

If you want to run a K & N filter, then by all means, knock yourself out. Just be prepared to spend a good half hour to an hour cleaning out the pleats of the K & N (as I did - trying to remove imbeded insect wings, legs, and other debris) plus, another 30 minutes for the following:
applying the oil, allowing it to wick into the filter and then removing any excess oil.

All that for no gain ! enjoy !

http://www.alldata.com/techtips/2005/20050307a.html

link that shows how much more dirt passes thru a K & N

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

warranty issues;

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/General/BBBNewsArchivesPageDetail.aspx?News_ID=126&sm=

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JustinH said:
Wish the folks would buy me a 97 sport!

First "mod"

Should be to change all the fluids, and do all the maintenance.
Well, I guess I'm just lucky like that...or it could be the fact they get whatever cash I can get for the '92. Eh, it's worth it.

It's getting all the stuff fluids changed before it gets driven too much. All I've got to drive it was around the block. Already did the trans, doing the engine tonight, with some other stuff

1 - 20 of 24 Posts