TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of struggling with transmission or torque converter issues I have finally given up. Every transmission shop I go to isn't interested in doing a torque convert swap, they just want to rebuild the transmission for $1400 to $1800. So I have given up. Winter is upon us and only a few more good weekends for running about the mountains are left. So that's it. No more mister shop guy. I'm done.
I found an online class on Youtube on how to tear down and rebuild the 4R70W transmission. It is actually a very good video in my opinion, even if the instructor is a bit mono tone. Shows every step in detail and follows through in all aspects from tear down, parts inspection, and overhaul. I am buying a tranny in the next few weeks and doing my own rebuild. I will list the video starting class below. I intend to use a heavy duty rebuild kit from Monster Transmission and to do the Freakin' "J" Mod you guys keep beating me for for not doing to the one in the car now.... OK, see I do take advice from you guys.
Seeking advice from the more knowledgeable here, er ah I guess that means everyone.
1st) I have the Monster Torque converter to use on this transmission so that is why I am using their rebuild kit. Do any of you have a better kit in mind or anything special I should get?
2nd) What year transmission would be best suited to install in my 1995 Tbird 4.6? I am also keeping my eye out for a PI engine and transmission and just do the whole deal at one time. Transmission and engine upgrade. I'm thinking of a low mileage 4.6 from a 2003 Lincoln, or Crown vic. Any input here appreciated. And yes I will do the crack pipe mod before installing this. In this case I am thinking I should get a double dose of help for less than the cost of having a shop rebuild my transmission.
Any Help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
817 Posts
I actually put an 02 Gran Marquise trans in my 95 bird and with the wiring diagram off the P71 Crown Vic forums it runs flawlessly! Im thinkin an 02 is as high as you can go for those tranmissions due to the teeth on the output shaft for speedo. Some one will correct me if im wrong. If you get a low mileage one I wouldn't worry about rebuilding it just throw it in there. Theyre pretty stout trannys! I have an 03 GT torque converter in mine and it sits behind a Mark 32v and the combination is pretty impressive. Im not good with links and what-not so someone may post the link to the P71 website for the rewire instructions. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
There is nothing more satisfying than fixing your own car. Doing most of these things yourself is a little time consuming, but much, much less expensive than paying someone to do stuff you don't need.

Go for it, swapping out a TC and Transmission is ultimately just unbolting a few things and bolting the new ones in. Have a little help, use the proper jacks, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
If you're looking to get a PI motor from an 03 anything, be sure to check that the timing chain tensioners have been updated. There were issues in 03. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I like the idea of finding a low mileage unit, and throwing it in there with a J-mod appropriate wiring changes.

I like your ambition, but rebuilding a trans is a big job. The last thing you want to do is have to pull it several times if something doesn't work right. The J-mod should give you a good "hands-on" job.

My Toyota trans was apart, and I was trying to put it back together. I honestly don't know where you buy a tool for a 10" dia snap ring! I ended up sending it to a shop.

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,910 Posts
Heh, I bought a low mile one and still took it apart, adding extra plates to the forward and direct clutches. The big snap rings are easier than the small ones IME
The Really Big things are the seals on the clutches, and the one-piece teflon seals on the shafts.

Instead of the J-mod, I've been buying the Tuff plate:
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/4r70e-w75e-w-late-00-up-super-tuff-plate/

All the holes meet the new jmod specs, so no drilling, and the plate doesn't get divoted by the 2-3 Accumulator. :)

New clutch plates are cheap, and adding the sonnax pieces in the VB isn't too hard...

And replacing the now-hardened accumulators...

And... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts