TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I'd like your opinions...

I think I am going to go with BF Goodrich G-Force Sport and I am thinking of doing a Big/Little look...I realize that front to back rotation isn't with this, but that's ok...anyway,

I am thinking about doing 225/50/16 up front

and

I want to go with 255/50/16 out back

Would the 255's be OK on a 7" wide (early SuperCoupe) wheel? I think it would, I have read that it would, but I just want to make sure before I order them.

thoughts?

thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have 255s on my sport wheels. They mounted up easily and look good imho, they are however the absolute widest you can go on 7'' wheel. I would rethink your choice for the fronts though as they are extremely short. The 255s are already borderline acceptable heightwise even on my lowered car. Give me a day or two and I'll post up some pictures.

I know you addressed the rotation issue, but do you really want to be stuck with chopped up/rounded off fronts with no opportunity to straighten them out on the back. Chopped up fronts are annoyingly noisey. I think you would like how beefy the 255s look on the front as well as the back. Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy them.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I was thinking of NOT doing 255 up front is because I was thinking there would be rub issues in the front when turning, or if there was a slight drop in air pressure they might rub on something....would they? How is the clearance?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
What about maybe using 225/55/16 on the front instead, to get something a bit closer to the diameter of the stock tires, and maintain good load capacity? 225/50/16 is made for a much smaller, lighter car, and would be almost 2" smaller in diameter than OEM.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
623 Posts
They do not rub at all. Tomorrow I will post some pictures for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you like the 255/50, use them on all 4 corners. 225/50 is going to be way too short. Heck, I think 255/50 is too short, but that's just me. Maybe once I see some better photos of how 255/50 looks I might change my mind but so far any I've seen have just looked a little goofy.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Here are the pictures as promised, including one gratuitous engine shot (my bad).

I noticed that your car is sitting at stock height, am I correct? I would recommend 235/60/16s if your car is not going to get lowered anytime soon. The 255s may look a little ridiculous. Hope these help you out, sorry they are kind of low quality (iPhone).

·
Registered
51 Posts
That really looks good; much better than other 255/50-wearing cars I've seen.
How much has it been lowered? That must be the ticket to getting those tires to look good.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thank you. It is lowered almost 2 inches in the front and about 1.5 inches in the back. The car has a little rake to it. They are definitely the shortest I would go, even on my car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Now with your input, I wouldn't be afraid of using the 255/50 if I were lowering my car. But seeing as how a lowered car would have difficultly going up my driveway, I'll stick with 235/60 for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts