TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For awhile now I've considered both options of swapping to 4.6L or 5.0L, and while recently I've been thinking the extra little stock torque on the 5.0L combined with the supposedly less expensive mods for it justifies it's use. Then add the fact that it is much easier to convert the 5.0L to 5-speed than the 4.6L as far as I know.

However, with much consideration, some research, and time, I think I may decide to go with.... 4.6L (As if you hadn't guessed by thread location ;) ).

So before I waste hours of time figuring out everything I need to know for the know how and whatnot, someone talk me out of it if it's too much of a hassle to convert a 4.6L to 5-spd. It seems like quite a hassle as it is for the 5.0L, so is it much worse for the 4.6L?

And yes, as good as the AOD is, I am indeed very hell-bent on making my '97 a 5-speed V8.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
It might be kinda expensive to do it that way. Maybe if you start out with a 97 4.6 bird and go from there it will be easier and probably less expensive. Just to mention some of the things you would need would be the engine, wire harnes, exhaust manifolds/headers, probably some more exhaust parts, tranny, EEC, springs (v6 ones arent the best supposedly for the V8 cars since they come with different ones), etc.

If you want to do it then go for it. I am in no way trying to tell you dont do something. Just giving you some info.

As far as the 5 speed conversion goes, its been done. That would take a bit of money and time but can be done. There is a tech article about it written by one of the first if not the first to do that swap. There is more info on that with searching the forums.
Some people say that you can build a auto tbird tranny strong enough for just about anything anyone has done to the tbirds so far but the ones that have a 5 speed usually love it. To check into one of those strong auto trannys look into http://www.reinhartautomotive.com/.

best of luck,
-Shawn

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I agree...sell your v6 and buy one with a v8. I wanted to swap a v8 into my 6..but once I realized how much money I would save, i just bought a v8 and sold the v6.

You'll end up being about $1000 in the hole(or less, just for buying the car) vs $3-4k+ for swapping the motor in.

I think once I sold my v6 i only owed $700 or something like that.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, as I went to pick up eggs from the store I realized it'd be hella cheaper to just buy a V8 bird. I dunno if I'd sell this one, I've grown attached to it. *tear drops :)

I've been having a difficult time finding a midnight blue 4.6L '97 though. Yeah, color isn't usually a biggie, but I'm fond of this blue.

I don't necessarily need '97 either I suppose, just a preference.

Thanks a lot for posting the link to that tech article! Never would've found that one.

EDIT: Oh and one other thing, if I was to convert to manual, what are the basic options? I know there's the T-45, the 4R70W, and the M... M5R2 was it called (from SCs)? Why wouldn't I want to use say a built 4R70W? I understand they are all completely different trannies, but I'm not sure which one I should like to use. I would likely end up using the T-45 though.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Drifting Thunder said:
Yeah, as I went to pick up eggs from the store I realized it'd be hella cheaper to just buy a V8 bird. I dunno if I'd sell this one, I've grown attached to it. *tear drops :)
same here...i hated to see my v6 go..but once I drove teh v8, I was hooked :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should be thinking about how much I could get out of my current one. The engine and basically everything else under the hood are in great condition. Well... I accidentally broke a headlamp harness clamp. :eek: But the engine is in really good condition even at ~103,000 miles. Still the V6 doesn't even have bragging rights for gas mileage. The lower interior is starting to look a little bad. The leather seats are good except the driver's seat has a fairly big rub mark or something. The antenna doesn't retract all the way for some reason I care not to look into. That's basically it I think though. It has a decent Alpine brand CD player too.

I can merely imagine how hooked you could get on the V8s. I don't think I've ever been out riding in any car over 180 hp. :leftright

·
Registered
239 Posts
well as far as tranny choices, the t-45 is your only choice. The m2r52 or whatever from the supercoupes wont work. It simply just wont bolt up. and the 4r70W is an automatic the same one you have in your car now.

the t-56 is possible, but i am sure is twice as much fabrication as the t-45(since i don't think its been done) and thusly twice as expensive

either way your looking at around 2000 for the transmission swap including parts, and thats not even a gaurentee that it will work

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I guess I"ll play devi'ls advocate...

I've thought about the manual swap, but it's just not worth it (to me). The 4r70w is a hell of an automatic tranmission. Chipped and J-modd'd you'd be surprised how quick and responsive it is, VERY quick shifts actually. I run autocross and have way too many car buddies, as i'm sure we all do... and they are freak out when they ride in my car, not many people know what a good auto tranny feels like. Factory programming on the shift is very slow and unresponsive. A chip livens that up drastically, and the j-mod makes a very big difference as well.

But a manual is cool.... but I love my modd'd 4r70w

I'll never sell my car... i'm driving it to the grave...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't doubt that the 4R70W is very potent. I actually think it's pretty darn fast-shifting in its stock form. I just wanted to go manual because of nearly the same reasons as everyone else who has; it's simply more fun. Also, if I ever did decide to tune a drift spec MN12, manual would be quite helpful.

Anyways, Lately I've been weighing the idea of getting a '97 4.6L vs. a '95 SC 5-speed. Honestly, although I doubt I can convince my dad to help me get the SC that I have my sights set on, I think I'm gonna shoot for it as much as I can. Otherwise, I will go with a 4.6 and would like to do some of the popular tranny mods. Whether or not I'd T-45 the 4.6 is still something I haven't answered for myself. I would love to, and 2k doesn't sound too shabby to me (I've nothing better to do with my money), but I don't know if I could do it myself, nor do I necessarily have the patience. I really want the SC though.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'll never sell my car... i'm driving it to the grave...
Hell I have told everyone that I am using the bird as the coffin.

All I have to say is I would love to a manual bird but I am going to stick with the auto. The auto is a great stock tranny as long as it is out of a 96-97. my thoughts but if you do the manual, I think it would be a great upgrade.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GreenBird said:
your best option is to sell the v6 and buy a v8.

This one is steal:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26531

needs some work, but has a good bit of mods.
If I do get a 4.6 I wouldn't doubt it'd be this one. He's done a lot of the things that I wouldn't think to do... so I can just do most of the stuff I would think to do to it. :D

·
Registered
926 Posts
once you take the V8 for a test drive you wont miss anything.

·
Registered
926 Posts
once you take the V8 for a test drive you wont miss anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts