TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well , there is alot of exhaust coming out of the muffler , but it shouldnt be that much , i think its steam or something from blown headgaskets. but whenever i check my oil there is no sign of water or ani tfreeze and alot of dirty grosslooking water is dripping from my exhaust. but the car is running good. i would have the compression check but dont have access to a compression tester. i really hope its not the head gaskets , if it is ill have to sell the car because i cannot afford to have it reapired, somebody help

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Does it only happen when you start up from sitting overnight? What color is the smoke? and does it go away after about 5 minutes or so after starting?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
well if its not your headgaskets it would either be a clogged cat, or muffler. but that still wouldn't explain the water. i believe auto parts stores will loan compression testers. i would try that. if its none of the above i say its unicorns. tiny mythical horses running around in your exhaust system.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
also, if you have a basic set of tools you can replace the headgaskets yourself (with a couple specialized tools). if you dont know see if any chapter members around you would be willing to help (beer helps influence tccoa members). its cheaper than going out and buying a new car.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
The Stevinator said:
(beer helps influence tccoa members)
:thumbsup:

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
I have the same problem. My headgaskets went over a year ago, and ever since then, on cold days, you can see the steam from the exhaust the whole time. I don't know if this is good or not, but I know my cats and resonator haven't been changed, maybe thats what the problem is?

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
i would think if the car is still running good and no water in the oil i would say it is prolly just condensation built up in the exhaust system from the colder weather.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
crazed maniac said:
I have the same problem. My headgaskets went over a year ago, and ever since then, on cold days, you can see the steam from the exhaust the whole time. I don't know if this is good or not, but I know my cats and resonator haven't been changed, maybe thats what the problem is?
dude, are you on crack or something? over a year ago, and you're still driving it?

·
Registered
416 Posts
The exact same thing happens with my windstar every year when it starts getting cold. It is condesation from the exhaust system. One year when i had it inspected they ran it through the dyno and you had to see how much water came out. I think about a bottle like 16 oz came out of the tail pipe. After about 10 minutes it was normal. It usually happens when the car sits out in very cold weather overnight. I warm up my cars now every day for about 5 min if i am not using it. That seems to lessen the amount that comes out of the tailpipe

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
it would prolly also keep the exhaust from rusting out prematurely.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
The Stevinator said:
dude, are you on crack or something? over a year ago, and you're still driving it?
They were fixed, obviously. :rolleyes:

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
crazed maniac said:
They were fixed, obviously. :rolleyes:
nah, you don't say, lol...:D

·
Registered
825 Posts
If you short trip it alot it will alawys smoke or steam cuase you never burn the water out you would be suprised how much water colects in the mufler and cats

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
I drive a half hour to school and it still does it when I arrive there. But then again, our little 3.8 don't make enough heat to get the whole exhaust hot. lol

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
water is a natural product of a clean burning exhaust. If it comes out white smoke and smells like coolant...then you have a problem.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I don't think there is any problem because this is normal, but check your coolant level. If you don't know what coolant smells like yet then you will once you open the overflow and check the coolant level.
If your exhaust smoke isn't sweet smelling then you are probably fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i checked my coolant after about 30 minutes of runninthe car yesterday, it was green , i do have a leak somewhere and i cant find it , becuase im loosing coolant. one reason i doubt my headgaskets are because if the coolant was going into my engine my iol would level would rise up more or something. i did just change the oil recently. honestly i think all exhaust smells sweet. if i can find all the stuff to do it ill just run a compression test

·
Registered
416 Posts
If the smoke coming out of your exhaust smells sweet then you have a problem. If you smell the sweet coolant smell just outside of the vehicle and not from the tailpipe, it means you have a leak and it is probably hitting a hot engine part causing the smell. On my windstar the antifreeze was dripping on top of one of the cats which is why i had the strong coolant smell. Above the cat is the water pump and the front engine cover. :mad:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts