TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mt pwer steering pump has went south on me!!..lol...anyways i wont hold fluid...i filled it up like 2 days ago and now it all has ran out....grrr....so my question is how much of a pain is it to change pumps???....i have ben told there a bit**!

thank for any info/help
Jay

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
mt pwer steering pump...sorry ment to say "my power steering pump"!...my hands are quicker then my brain sometimes!! haha

jay

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
actually its fairly easy to change the pump, you just need to purchase a power steering pulley puller to remove the pulley, after that its just a few bolts to remove it.

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
Are you sure it's the pump and not the rack? You might want to check it out before you go with the pump.

Joe

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i jus replaced my rack like a month ago...but ill check it to be sure.

thanks guys
Jay

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If you go to buy that pulley removal tool watch the price.... I looked at almost all the auto parts stores in town and got ripped for $100 then saw them at one waaaaaay across town that I was too lazy to call for $40. I suppose mine are better quality but not $60 worth.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i checked out my power steering leak today and it is not my pump or my rack but it is one of my lines coming off the pump and going to the rack.....hummm....anyways how much will it cost to get a new line for this???

thanks
Jay

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Can't say directly how much it'd cost but you may want to call a local hydraulics supply house in addition to your Ford parts folks. Some of those places will custom make you a hose pretty reasonable....

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Louisville bird said:
i checked out my power steering leak today and it is not my pump or my rack but it is one of my lines coming off the pump and going to the rack.....hummm....anyways how much will it cost to get a new line for this???

thanks
Jay
Hey Jay,
I had the same experience earlier this year. I don't know if this is your situation, but you should check it out anyway.

The line had developed a leak up in close to the oil pan. I couldn't see it, but could reach up in there and feel it. There was supposed to be a thick rubber sleeve there, but it had rotted from heat and slid away.

Apparently, this line had been rubbing on the oil pan. I took it to my guy and he advised that a pan would be in the neighbourhood of $400 just for the pan, no labour. He suggested that he try to patch it, so that's what he did. It's held up for a while now. I'll be replacing the engine when my budget allows anyway, if I don't sell it first.

The point of this story is that the problem was caused by worn engine mounts, and in my opinion, a bad design. The line was far too close to another component.

As far as parts go, the Power Steering line was $137 CDN, or around $90 USD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts