TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the plunge and ordered a '02 Explorer 4.6 from Greenleaf. It arrived at work today. The first thing I noticed is that it has the all-plastic intake. After hearing about how unreliable they are, should I go ahead and replace it or just hope that this one holds out?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
You can leave it if you want it will hold. If you want to change it then its up to you, but I think there is no need. But an extra intake will come in handy..

·
Registered
526 Posts
I believe the problem was the cooling passage breaking on the all plastic intakes. I'd be willing to bet you that your intake has an aluminum crossover tube. I've seen some pics of the plastic intake blown apart by an aggerssive shot of nitrous, but unless yours has a manufacturing flaw, it will be just fine.

BTW...how much did the engine cost?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rustyul said:
I believe the problem was the cooling passage breaking on the all plastic intakes. I'd be willing to bet you that your intake has an aluminum crossover tube. I've seen some pics of the plastic intake blown apart by an aggerssive shot of nitrous, but unless yours has a manufacturing flaw, it will be just fine.
I've not seen the aluminum crossover tube first hand, but I thought that it was supposed to be visible at the front of the intake on top. If I am mistaken, where do I need to look?

BTW...how much did the engine cost?
I paid just over 15 big ones for it. It is supposed to have less than 10,000 miles on it. That also included shipping to GA from TX. It also has the intake tube on it. I was worried that I would have a hard time finding that piece.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, mine IS all plastic. I think I will take my chances. The intake on this motor shouldn't be too hard to change... right?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, what are those two intakes off of? (The second picture.) Which do I have on my '02 motor, the one with the long runners or the short one?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts