TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have been thinking, How hard would it be to convert my 97 4.6 liter t-bird to a 5 speed? would it mean swapping it with a 97+Gt five speed and throwing in a clutch or is there way more to it....and if so, what? Thanx guys...
-Dennis

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
USE THE SEARCH FEATURE

There is a tech article in the transmission section of the Tech Articles page located at the home page that gives a helluva lot of details on what to do. It will probably cost you double that of getting a newer 4R70W and swapping it in.

joseph

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just dropped a 5-speed in my Bird. It wasn't all that hard, but it was a lot of work. I think that it cost me about $1600-$1800.... And it was worth every penny. If you shop around enough you might be able to do it cheaper than I did.

Jimmy

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
its gonna cost him more because he would have more fabrication to do, extending the shifter on the tranny, cutting a custom DS, making sure that the t-45 fits, the wiring....

·
Registered
798 Posts
Basically from what i have read, You'd need a T-45 trans, all the clutch setup and pedal, you'll also need a chip/tune to turn off all of the 4R70W controls in the EEC. Otherwise it's going to keep looking for the transmission. Also, you'd need the MN12performance shifterbox or have one made per papajohn's specs in the tech article.

Dennis Reinhart (i know i know) can order a DS built to the correct length
or www.dennysdriveshaft.com can also build you one

I'm sure there's probably someother parts i'm missing too. If you're serious about the swap, get in touch with someone who's done it. I believe CobraRthunder did the T-45 swap so he'd be able to help out. I'm sure there's other people out there too.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
make sure to get a 96-97 gt t-45 and not a cobra t-45 cause i read in a thread here before that they are different and the new ones would need more work to get it in......
not too sure though...
the man to talk to is CobraRThunder

1 - 6 of 6 Posts