TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas on the rise upwards of 2.00$ on any given day. My family and I just signed a least to a three bedroom house in a suburb out side of san diego. Now I have to drive 10 extra miles one way to work. So, I figure my gas bill will double. My wife bless her heart offered up the idea of a motor cycle. I have road four or five bikes in the past. From a YZ500 dirt to a VFR750 intercepter which a road in college for about 9 months. I have many years riding experiance. But now that bike designs have changed I am not sure what type to look at. H/D are too expensive, Duc's are in the high price range too. I prefer crotch-rockets, I like the manuverability they have over others, like night hawks or Vulkans. I think I am looking to finance 2500. I know it isn't too much for a bike. But i figure I can fix it up and maybe trade up in the future. With this new house coming in a month. The T-bird will have and honest to god garage. Crud I need to cut this short baby is crying...Eric

·
Registered
60 Posts
You might want to check out Triumph. I have a 2001 Legend 900. good looks, stock seat bad for commuting, (get King/Queen or custom for long trips).Has plenty of power, hell even at 65mph she'll lunge with a quick jerk on the throttle.

There is even a Thunderbird model!

Check out yahoo groups for more info and advice/sugestions.

Chris Sr.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Something to think about with "crotch rockets:"

4000 miles
105 gallons of premium (at 38 mpg) costing 1.98 = 208.43
4 qts synthetic oil = 28.00
1 oil filter = 15.00
set of tires = 232.80
mouting balancing for above tires = 45.00

This is depending on rider, riding type, and road conditions to take into consideration a few things. I left out that every 8k should be a set of spark plugs and some other things, as well as the once a year diagnostics / tuning to keep it in top form. Just off of the gas, tires, and oil above, you can end up with about a $529.23 expense for that 4000 miles. That's .132 per mile. It's not really as inexpensive to travel on those things as it may seem.

But.... they are a blast, and if you can get used to using them long term ( and the weather permits you to ) you can make up for the expenses with a great time, and it will keep up with the gas prices.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Chris Sr. said:
You might want to check out Triumph. I have a 2001 Legend 900. good looks, stock seat bad for commuting, (get King/Queen or custom for long trips).Has plenty of power, hell even at 65mph she'll lunge with a quick jerk on the throttle.

There is even a Thunderbird model!

Check out yahoo groups for more info and advice/sugestions.

Chris Sr.

My dad used to ride Triumphs in the 50's and 60's. He absolutely loved them, but then again he has a thing for English bikes and they're a much different motorcycle now, or so he tells me. I'm not even sure if they're British, I just know he's got a fetish for them English bikes. There was a Triumph Thunderbird Sport orange, I think that was for sale in North Park for the longest time... they're actually pretty good looking too. Though if I were going to get a bike, it sure wouldn't be for their ease of operation or their inexpensive maintenance. (because they don't exist). For me it's 0-100 in under 6 seconds. ^^

·
Registered
627 Posts
cyntaxx said:
How about a 2004+ R1? :eek:
That's the bike I was just describing. New tires, oil change etc, less than 4,000 miles on the clock.

I also have a 1991 FZR 1000 that's real expensive on upkeep.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I know you mentioned a smaller bike, but I think for a "commuter" bike you might look at something a little less "sporty". While the crotch rocket may be more fun, it might get a little old after a while.

I love the Yamaha V-Star 650 and one is probably in my future within the year! :thumbsup:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo/2/mcy/4/21/1/yamaha_v_star_classic.aspx

Dang it, why did you have to get me looking at motorcycles.... :mad: :leftright

·
Registered
627 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
I know you mentioned a smaller bike, but I think for a "commuter" bike you might look at something a little less "sporty". While the crotch rocket may be more fun, it might get a little old after a while.

I love the Yamaha V-Star 650 and one is probably in my future within the year! :thumbsup:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo/2/mcy/4/21/1/yamaha_v_star_classic.aspx

Dang it, why did you have to get me looking at motorcycles.... :mad: :leftright
Excellent choice. And very sound advise about not getting a sportbike for commuting. Those V-Stars and similar type cruisers have very low maintenance pushrod and lifter type engines, which pump out a lot of torque and are fun to ride. Plus, they can pick from the more distance rated rubber than the sticky Z-rated tires that sportbikes eat.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
You could always get a Moped!!!!

Riding a Moped is like screwing a fat girl, ist fun till yer friends catch ya.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
The bike I'm lookling for is a late '80s Honda Magna 1100. This bike is scary fast, and you can pick one up cheap. They're liquid-cooled, so they have better longevity than air-cooled bikes as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts