TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Two words...

Robert Shaw. Although I have never had a problem with my stock ford one...I have heard only good things about the RS.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i dont think any thermostat is "better" than another one, its a very simple part. if you mean a colder one, you can buy those at any parts store. make sure whatever you get has a fail-safe that leaves it open instead of closed.

·
11,719 Posts
Don't...

stock EEC - 196deg
Gen II Inject tech - 180deg

·
11,719 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sideffects?

What are the sideffects of running a 180 degree t-stat without chipping the computer? I've been contemplating getting a 180 as a cheap attempt to get my car to run a bit cooler when it spends hours doing nothing but idling (read: 2hr commute in rush hour :) ), and hadn't realised a chip was considered a "Good Idea[tm]" when going to a cooler t-stat...(For that matter, I'm not sure a cooler t-stat would keep my car temp down, either...but hey.. :) )

·
11,719 Posts
slight increase in engine wear of about 8% (100,000 * 8% = 108,000) and better gas mileage. Some have senn 30mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
246 Posts
30mpg

I have not done any mods to my Bird yet and I can get upto 33mpg on the highway in cruise control.
keep in mind that I achieved this on a 14hour relatively flat stretch of highway

1 - 11 of 11 Posts