TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90 SC that I have recently taken out the engine because a the headgaskets. I was reading a couple of articles and though it would nice to have a DOHC in this car. From what I understand, the 1991 Lincoln Towncar used a 4.6 engine block that would mate to an AOD transmission. Unless I am mistaken it should also mate to the 5-speed in an SC. I can get the bare engine block for about 150.00. I am going to build the block with the crank, rods and pistons from a 03 Cobra. The upper half of the engine and all accs I can get from a totaled 97 Cobra. This would included wiring harness and computer. I not sure but believe that I would also have to change the sub frame to 95-97 T-bird 4.6 models. I know that this is going to be costly, but hey what are hobbies for. This project I am estimating to take about one yr and about that time I will have the money to put the kenne bell blower on and cobra r hood w 95 front end. Does anybody have any experience with this kind of swap? If so what kind of troubles am I going to run into. Right now the only thing I am worried about is the wiring required, but no matter what this is going to happen. Anyone got any suggestion? (positive ones only please.)

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Here are two options do a search on DOHC you won't believe the number of threads you will find

Second considering how rare 5-speed birds are I would suggest fixing what you got or selling it to someone who isn't going to chop it up and if you still have the DOHC bug buy a cheap LX 4.6. Not meaning to be negative but realize what you have

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you, I did some searches, most were only about swapping into a bird with a 4.6 already in it. I know that you then can just extend your wiring harness and burn a chip.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't waste my time swapping a DOHC into a bird that already has a potent SC engine. I know that the SC 3.8L's are expensive to build, but they are capable of really impressive numbers. And, considering the cost of the DOHC, it would probably be cheaper to get a SC engine built and dropped into the car that would push it into the 12's than just to get the DOHC in the car.

Pete

·
Registered
192 Posts
I also say go for it, but the wiring might be a nightmare. Have you investagated aftermarket EFI systems? May be more expensive, but should be alot easier.Another option would be to find a wrecked , high mileage, or bad engine 94/95 bird. Ive seen rear hit cars for under 500$ since you want a front clip, and need the K-member it would be a cheaper alternative, and you could also use the ecm and wiring harness. Just a thought and good luck.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
You may want to contact racecougar, or maybe search for posts of his concerning your DOHC swap. I believe he is putting a DOHC into 89-91 Cougar.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
yes check with racecougar. he defintely is, and hes also putting a newer dash in it too if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am looking into getting this one from this website: www.thedetailzone.com
I'm thinking that getting a rear wrecked 95 t-bird is a great idea. Never though of that one. Great idea. May even a mark viii.

·
Registered
192 Posts
One thing I over looked. How strong is the SC-5spd tranny? Also all the little parts and mods to the block may make using a 4v engive and tranny combo may be easier in the long run? The shifter is an issue, but there is a shifter extension marketed for vintage mustangs.it bolts to the floor pan, and has a shaft to go to the trans shifter.
To me it seem you motovation for this is to reuse the tranny. I tried to build a motor once only because I got a free dual quad intake. Make your goals first then select your parts. I still think you should go for a 5_spd DOHC bird, but you may be making more trouble for your self than needed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have done a little bit of research, and they're are people who are using this transmission on a 500hp supercharge v-8. There are guys on the sccoa site who are making 450hp with the stock 5sp. This car is being build for road racing not drag racing. I want to have the engine built right so if I want to supercharge it later I can with have to worry about it going boom with stock rods and pistons. (ford should be ashamed for using those little a$# rods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts