TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. I am a bit of a noob in general to cars, with a below average concept of vehicles. That being said, I want to supercharge my 96 LX 4.6 Thunderbird with 68k miles.

I was looking at this, and was wondering if I could just bolt it on. I have a small idea of what internals I'll need to upgrade to make it reliable. I already am looking into a custom hood to fit it.

I am looking for what internally I should be upgrading before I should even consider this. Also, what kind of power would a supercharged 4.6 make?

·
Registered
698 Posts
No. An M90 from a GTP will not bolt on.

There is no way to piece this together your self. I tried.

Youll have to either get a Torque Tech Kit, a Paxton/Vortec/Procharger, a Saleen Kit, or an SVO Kit. The easiest and quickest to do is to get a Vortec kit and bolt it on. Itll cost a couple grand but comes with everything.

Youll need to upgrade the transmission. Do a Jmod and get an 11in torque converter with a higher stall.

The 4.6 is a stout motor. Keep it below 400whp and youll be fine with the stock bottom and.

If your gonna spend the cash on a blower, get a set of Comp Cams for the NPI heads and swap to a PI intake. That swap alone will probably worth 25-30 hp. But itll make the blower just that more potent.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,088 Posts
An M90s too small for a 4.6 anyway. Supercharging isn’t cheap, you can find 5 of superchargers at your local pick n pull junkyard, but they are very specifically tailored to the cars they were designed for by GM, and if you look at those 3800s sans blower you’ll notice they have a specific manifold and accessory drive to accommodate it, your 4.6 would need the same and they don’t exist outside of kits designed around different superchargers.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you want to go positive displacement blower rather than centrifugal, the TorkTech kit fits well and works well. I did have to make a couple of modifications to the intake manifold to match the TVS2300 blower and to add the second coolant temperature sender, but the effort was worth it and I'm very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
1997 SPORT Laser Red. Restored May of 2020.
162 Posts
Been there, done that...not recommended.

Owned a Allen Supercharged 96tbird sport for 8.5 years.
In the year of our Lord 2001 and with the help of Horseplay Racing, turned a 96 Sport into the unbeatable 0-60 street car and the never beaten in the 1/8 mile at the track in Memphis, TN. Sold it in 2005.
Retired last year and found a one-owner 97 sport with just 83k miles. Weighed the +/- of supercharging and decided not too for too many reasons. Suggest you resist the urge, as I was able to do, and if you don't have the Sport option, put your upgrade money into such things such as: Sport wheels, brakes, springs, sway bars, transmission cooler, J-mod and a good ecc tune and enjoy the drive. With a car this old, more people will be impressed with a good looking ride rather than horsepower.

Regards,

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
1 Posts
where there's a will theres a way. however...
We just finished up with my older brother doing his engine in his '95. he put junkyard sourced PI heads w/new everything with lightly massaged combustion chambers to unshroud the intake valves and reduce the CR a little bit and PI intake among other things. puppy scoots well.
consider re-gaping the piston rings before you hammer on it after the boost is in. the soch engine comes with tight thin rings. blowing air into it is going to give you grief if you don't loosen them up first. understand, you will then consume small amounts of engine oil but you might not consume the entire engine from a stuck ring. Yeah, just running it on the street. OK. still, your going to hammer on it. Be sure you intercool the air charge. did the '96 come with knock sensors??

consider the four valve teksid aluminum block. not the greatest by any measure, but a hell of a strong and stable block. It's lighter than the cast iron Romeo/Windsor block & bolts in. Adding lightness is like adding power. I like the Windsor because of the really stable bottom end. The dowel pins are clamped between the skirt and main bearing caps and really lock things together. I've got one of those hidden under the bench along with the Romeo PI heads w/cams out of an 04 CVPI and a NIB PI intake manifold.
At any rate, consider the PI heads and intake before you spend money on boost as the heads and intake will make a better engine and Boost makes everything much better...
If you have some cash for such things, the aftermarket twisted wedge heads may interest you(not a sponsor)as I have a bud who raves about the set he bought and they flow very much better than the NPI heads. but he has money to pitch out the windows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts