TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An acquaintance of mine just called me and told me of an '88 Turbo Coupe that he is trying to off-load. When he got it he was told that it needed a new timing belt. Once he got it partly taken apart, he discovered water in the oil. Now he just doesn't want to mess with it. He told me to come get it and give him $300 whenever I have it.
So I am guessing that it is a bad head gasket or, worst case scenario a cracked head. (Coincidentally, I replaced the head on my 2.3L Ranger last year.)
Is that motor worth pulling the head and checking it out? If I get it would I be better off getting a replacement motor? If that is the case, I will probably pass on this deal because isn't a TC motor kinda hard to find?
I haven't looked at it yet, but the car is supposedly in great shape otherwise. It is missing a headlight assembly and one of the door latches is messed up, but all the interior and electronics are supposed to work and is supposed to be clean.
Let me know what you think...

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
For that price, if the body is straight and the interior is decent, it'd be a nice project car. Especially if it's a 5 speed.

Heck, I'd give ya $350 for it. :D

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought, but I already have a '93 Lincoln Town Car that needs a oil pump and a '73 F100 that is getting a '93 T-bird motor and tranny. Plus I plan to rebuild the rear of my '95 T-bird soon. I'm running out of space!:tongue:
I am just thinking that if I can replace the head gasket as quickly as I did my Ranger, I can use it as a daily driver. Surely the 4 cylinder TC gets better milage than any of my V8's.
Oh yeah, the first thing I asked him was if it was a 5 speed. No such luck.:(

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
28 sounds great to me.

I went and looked at it. This thing is cosmetically excellent. All the electronics that work w/out the engine running work. (Door locks, windows, etc.) It just needs cleaning and hopefully only a head gasket and a driver's headlight assembly.

I'm going to pull it home this weekend. Pics to come.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Yep. Do it!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
10 Posts
For 300 you cant go wrong, even if the engine was trashed. You can find another one for cheap. I read your linked thread and I read the head and wall were cracked. I will put money on it that the head cracked first, then it overheated, the piston expanded in the cylinder too much and it went down hill after that. The 2.3s are well known for cracking heads. 99% of all the iron heads you find will be cracked... its just a matter of if the crack has made its way to the water jacket yet. Im a member of turboford.net and they are all a bunch of great guys there. Im sure you wont have problems finding another engine for that TC. Eventhough the block and head are trashed, Id recommend keeping all the extras that you can. Expect to use them eventually. Im warning you, those engines are addicting. Once you see their potential, you will be converted. I made my mistake of buying one years ago. I cant stop modding it. Best of luck with it and if you need any help trouble shooting feel free to shoot me a PM.

Jeremy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts