TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about creating a ground swell of support for new headlights on our cars, to Ford, from the standpoint of a safety issue.
As everyone knows, the difference between their effectivenes, aside from how much better they look, is like night and day after you do the cleaning ritual.

Yes I know that you need to maintain your car as a matter of safety. But I don't think headlight cleaning is part of the scheduled maintanence plan. Now, neither is windshield cleaning, but that's obvious and easy to do.
I live in the "elephant's graveyard" of the US, west central Florida. Where I'm now starting to notice a LOT of T-Birds that are driven by very old people (read this as people who are not going to do the headlight ritual). Something I can attest to, the older you get the worse your eyesight becomes. Now, combining this with the very dim output of yellowed headlights, one could argue, creates a true safety issue.

I just wondered what you guys think.
And if you agree, how would we go about approaching Ford to correct the issue?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree

I agree with you 100% on this one. The yellowed headlights do present a safety issue. There are recalls all the time regarding seat belts, gas pedal sticking, etc. Doesn't this constitute a safety issue also? How is it safe to drive when you can't see what's coming?

Maybe if we all band together, Ford will actually do something for us.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I am with you. I think we just need to contact ford about it, and see what are the hoops we need to jump through are.

GT

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Start Here

These are the contact points for Ford customer questions and/or concerns.

Telephone Number:

1-800-392-3673
1-800-232-5952 for TDD
(Telecommunication Device for the Deaf)
Roadside Assistance: 1-800-241-3673

Mailing Address:

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48121

Web Site / E-mail Address:

www.fordvehicles.com [email protected]

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
I'd definetely support it. I bought some new ones about a year ago, paid $195 for both. They're already starting to look a little hazy. Anything that could get them to put out some new ones would be good, to keep from paying that all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
It is not just the T-Birds that have this issue. The Tempo has the same problem too, as someone who works with me has one, and they are extremely yellowed.

After noticing this one, I began to notice other Tempos with the same problem.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
The guys over at MarkViii.org have been trying to get ford to do something about their gen-1 lights with the same problem for a while now, I dont know if they've had any success...the newer "crystal" headlights (i.e. 96-97 MN12 and all new cars out now) seem to have their own problem with headlights, well, I havent seen it with 2000+ cars/trucks but either those cars are still too new or they fixed the problem, but the headlights on tbirds/cougars & I've also noticed it on contours/mystiques seem to get a foggy, dirty, cloudy, sandblasted, nasty look to them, and some lights for the 96-97 bird with the black outer/chrome inner parts, like the new stangs, svt focus & others would be really cool, but that' is prolly aiming a little too high

Earl

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Well, I say we give it a try. We sure aren't going to get anything done sitting around and saying 'hmm, what if'. I think if we get a lot of people involved, they might listen. Also, just a note. My dad has an 87 F-150, he replaced his lights a few years back for the same yellowing problem....

·
Registered
347 Posts
all fords used the same material for their headlights there in the late 80's when they introduced the "aero lights" Mustang, Taurus, Crown vic, F-Series, I thinks its polycarbonate, all of em i see driving around are pretty bad, it really looks ugly on some

I think ford will tell you "contect your local ford parts department, they have replacements available for 190 each" :rolleyes:

I would like to replace mine, i sanded the crap out of them but they are still crappy, hard to know there on in town and hard to see decently ahead out in the sticks

Oh and the reason i wont be replacing them anytime soon is the price

1 - 12 of 12 Posts