TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
It was one of the most glorious experiences of my life :D I was really, really, really nervous...the last time I had any dental work done, beyond a cleaning, was, get ready....1999. :rolleyes: The last time I had a cleaning done was in 2003, at which time, I had three cavities, and needed to have my wisdom teeth removed.

Around 2008, my left wisdom tooth started to hurt, which turned into both of them shattering, exposing nerves, and causing serious pain, which lead me to a small time pain killer addiction (not really, but I was taking a lot of pain pills just to function, which was starting to cause problems). I was in a hurry driving out to TX a year ago, because I knew that I was going to reach a point where my wisdom tooth pain would get so bad that I would not be able to function. I arrived in TX on July 1 of last year and by July 5th, I was having both busted wisdom teeth removed... the four days in between where the most agonizing I have ever been through, that I can remember.

Anyway, back to now.... I went in for a cleaning today, convinced that they would be using the words "dentures" on some level....Well, amazingly, and very lucky for me, my teeth cleaned up beautifully, and, I have five cavities...so, I got off very lucky, that nothing else is wrong. Now the spending begins to fix this....:cool: so anyway, I don't have any real point to any of this, just feeling good. :D

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Earl,

Your better then me time frame wise. I went to a dentist June 2010. The time before that was 1985. Yep I went 25 years. The dentist in 1985 really pissed me off when he started lecturing me. I was the typical 18 year old and didn't want or need his lecture.

I'm also not happy with the one I went to last year. My insurance only covered so much and they (dentist office) checked before hand to see what I wuold owe at the time of service. A month later I get a bill for another $85 from the dentist. I have yet to pay the azzho.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Earl,

Your better then me time frame wise. I went to a dentist June 2010. The time before that was 1985. Yep I went 25 years. The dentist in 1985 really pissed me off when he started lecturing me. I was the typical 18 year old and didn't want or need his lecture.

I'm also not happy with the one I went to last year. My insurance only covered so much and they (dentist office) checked before hand to see what I wuold owe at the time of service. A month later I get a bill for another $85 from the dentist. I have yet to pay the azzho.

Same here but it was the assistant that was cleaning my teeth, That woman must have had it in for men that day she was tearing my gums to pieces:mad: She went to far and I snapped , Get your @@@king hands out of my mouth !!!!!!!!! Before you have no fingers left ! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Growing up and not having a job with dental insurance, dental issues tend to be put off. I had quite a bit of work done around 92 but only because I had connections with the Director of the dental dept at The U in Utah and they had the students do most of the work for nothing.

In the spring of 1999 I got sepsis, started as a staff infection I got changing a flat tire on the Tbird. I ripped my right index finger open on the edge of the fender lip while breaking a lug loose. I had got a antibiotic shot at the hospital and they assured me that would take care of it. About 3 weeks later I felt like crap, was almost passing out and went to the ER and had Sepsis. Because of my organs being toxic and shutting down I also got pneumonia on top of it.

It was bad and they had to put me in a drug induced coma to be able to treat me. They didn't want me to remember anything they were doing. Problem was after they induced the coma the time frame was becoming too long and they wanted to bring me out of it but I hadn't healed as fast as they would have liked. After 62 days my best friend convinced them to reduce the pain/memory loss meds remove the respirator and I was breathing on my own.

back to the topic; I remember one of the first times I got up on my own that fall in the nursing home and I went in the bathroom and brushed my teeth and was spitting out chunks of tooth. All of that dental work wasted. Hell, even now 12 years later I am just finally getting close to getting everything fixed. I was dreading the denture word too but they are still patching things up, may need a bridge or partial but at least I can still eat.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
in my short 31 years, I still have never to this day, had a cavity.
Lucky I guess, cause I hardly take care of my teeth anymore.
I haven't been to the dentisit............i honesty cannot remember.
But, my parents took both my brother and I at least twice a year grwoing up.
My brother on the other hand, needed braces, oral surgery for something, cavities out the azz....

Like I said, I'm just lucky.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Wowzers, I have a great dentist so I go once a year for a checkup. And I've never had a cavity and very little other work so that's why I don't mind going.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I was REALLY bad with going to the dentist. I had lost a filling and left that tooth with a hole in it for over a year till it finally pissed me off enough from having to constantly pick food out of it.

My problem is that I have a bad gag reflex and NONE of the 4 dentists I tried were willing to do anything about it so I can get the necessary work done. I had dental coverage and it cost me nothing for the metal filling. I FINALLY found a good dentist after moving and now my whole family goes to him. He's around my age so there's no "I've been doing this for 50 years and you should do this and this and this, otherwise I dont want to treat you" type attitude. I actually recommend the dentist I go to, and that takes a lot for me to do.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I just heard the other day at the bar that there is some kind of anti-gag mouth spray. I can probably think of other people who could use this, lol. I made a joke about it, but it's probably not tccoa appropriate.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I just heard the other day at the bar that there is some kind of anti-gag mouth spray. I can probably think of other people who could use this, lol. I made a joke about it, but it's probably not tccoa appropriate.
Actually yea there is a mouthrinse they use that can lightly numb your whole mouth. I have to use that to get xrays of the back teeth done, otherwise I gag. And I'll also refrain from what I was just going to say as well........ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't put this stuff off, folks...last year they gave me a quote of 600 and some dollars which was "my part" that the insurance wasn't covering to fix all of this...I put it off...about a month ago, my mom walks up to me with a cup of scope, says something about "your cavities smell like moth balls" I became very self concious of this, embarrassed, etc. weather it was happening or not, it seemed that people at work where somewhat turned off by my dragon breath, so, it was time to stop delaying, bank account be damned....went back in for a cleaning, which was easy, my teeth where still "clean"

Today I had three fillings, two left...they gave me nitrous...:D Anyway, does to two...bummer thing is, my existing cavities are silver, they look black, like rotton tooth, especially bad, since the nice new ones are white and not at all noticable...but those old fillings, from October 4th 1995 are still hanging in there, so, it is what it is.

Take care of your teeth, folks, I am very lucky that all I had was five cavities...10+ years of cigarettes, alcohol, sodas, junk food, and neglect, I shouldn't have any teeth at all.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm trying to get used to lower dentures. Got uppers 30 years ago.
Put it this way; my saga started over sixty years ago. And I should'a had lowers over 5 years ago. Changed dentists when previous skipped town, almost lost lower jaw bone.

There's a special place in hell for some dentists, I'm betting. A lot of it's my fault, of course, but it take a certain persoanlity type to be a cop, same applies to dentists.
When you get a good one who isnt just concerned with cosmetics and repeat business keep em.
Got this one.. I saw the xrays and blew up at what I saw... she didnt even have to interpret them.
"You need a denture"

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
Congrats Earl. I'm glad you're feeling better.

I brushed my teeth after reading this. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts