TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
Pictures can hide a lot, but even still it doesn't look new. I see a dent in the right quarter, right behind the gas door, paint peeling on the same quarter where it meets the bumper, something weird going on with the right inner tail light, stains on the carpet, and a gauged up instrument cluster and radio surround, and the cloth trim missing on both door panels. There are also no pictures of under the hood, under the car, or the rocker panels, all of which could be a completely different story when you see the car in person. It looks to me like it was a car that someone took good care of and got a lot of use out of, but I wouldn't call it perfect, and I certainly wouldn't pay anything close to $3000 for it. With that high mileage on a 3.8, it could blow head gaskets or spin a rod bearing at any time, so I wouldn't pay more than $1000 tops for it.

·
Super Moderator
9,177 Posts
Mine's a salt belt car with 136k and looks new... :tongue:

Although it no longer sees salt. Thank goodness.

I actually know that dealer; had to take the fiancee's Milan there for some emergency repairs a couple months ago.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I used to live in Maine, and I've seen cars with 25,000 miles on them look like doo-doo. The salt just kills them.....

My brother owns a 2004 Dodge 1500 Rumble Bee with 40,000 miles and underneath it looks 25 years old with the rust!

·
̇
3,702 Posts
tbirdguy said:
I wonder how this bird has 230K miles in the salt belt and looks new? Repainted? Excellent maint?

Probably a repaint with lots-o body filler..

Lets see some pics of the undercarriage.. :diablo:

Rayo..

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can tell by the angles they are trying to hide all the imperfections, I agree with mad mike there are way to many things going on, and the price is wayyy off

I lived in south florida for a long time, there motto was if there isn't rust then it isn't from here! Salt blah

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The small pics don't make an Internet assessment of the car any easier. The whole point of that site is to sell cars, I wonder why the big pictures have to be so small. I know there's no technical reason for that. If I was selling cars, I'd have some nice big juicy pics ;-)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Its hard to tell from pictures, my truck is eaten up by rust but when I take pictures of it, it doesn't look like it is, the MN-12's hold up better than the fox birds and cougars to rust my 86 couldn't make it like my 95 did and in the end the 95 started showing fatique to the Rust underneth it.

I was going to buy another fox bird matter of fact but none were available that didn't have some form of rust going for them and for a nice mint one I would have had to spend double what I paid for my 1st MN-12 so that's what I compromised to.

·
Super Moderator
16,821 Posts
The 89 and 90 MN12s are bigger rust buckets than the later ones, as bad as the foxes(if not worse in some areas). No galvanized stampings whatsoever. The rockers are way worse on the MN12s than the foxes though.

·
Super Moderator
9,177 Posts
I'll vouch for that one! My dad's 90 was rusted waaaaaaay worse than my mom's 93, which had almost twice the miles too (this was over 10 years ago).

He even went through the floor pan when jacking it up shortly before he scrapped it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My buddy's Tbird is an 89 or 90 and it's rotted all to hell. Really it should be removed from the road, like super seriously. The rockers are literally missing. Luckily he can't afford to plate it so he hasn't driven it in 2 years.

My 96 although has rust at the rocker in front of the drivers rear wheel it's in way better shape. I still have all sorts of rust underneath but now that you mention it the rust difference is super different. I sprayed some KL-73 and Fluid Film inside the doors at the bottom, and I removed the back seat speakers and coated the inside there to help slow down the spreading of the rust. I wish there was a way to properly treat the rockers under the door without drilling holes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts