·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I Love Harbor Freight

It's a big candy store, HF rocks, I love that place! :cool:

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
they did that on HD theater the other day.. used car lot mechanic in england.. using a bolt, bunch of washers and a nut to install new bushings in control arms..

same theory

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
When you live up in the rust belt a lot of bearings would laugh at that tool...

Harbor Freight is ok... kind of low quality stuff...
Yeah, but for the hobbyist mechanic, it puts tools he can justify buying at his disposal.

I've also used washers and sockets and threaded rod or long bolts to press stuff in / out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, but for the hobbyist mechanic, it puts tools he can justify buying at his disposal.

I've also used washers and sockets and threaded rod or long bolts to press stuff in / out.
I have basically the same thing. Threaded rod, a couple different sized schedule 80 pipe couplers, washers and nuts. I did my entire rear suspension that way. Removed all old bushings and replaced with poly. Just make sure you have some grease on the threads.

Harbor Freight sucks. Northern Tool ftw!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
they did that on HD theater the other day.. used car lot mechanic in england.. using a bolt, bunch of washers and a nut to install new bushings in control arms..

same theory

I have basically the same thing. Threaded rod, a couple different sized schedule 80 pipe couplers, washers and nuts. I did my entire rear suspension that way. Removed all old bushings and replaced with poly. Just make sure you have some grease on the threads.

Harbor Freight sucks. Northern Tool ftw!
Yep. Jack Screws work well.

However. If this works it would be nice to have it all in a case. I have all my washers, nuts, threaded rod, muffler adapters, etc in a box on the floor.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep. Jack Screws work well.

However. If this works it would be nice to have it all in a case. I have all my washers, nuts, threaded rod, muffler adapters, etc in a box on the floor.
So I guess thats a yes if rear bearings have to be done, at least its worth to try. The only issue I can see is corrosion.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I just pull the knuckle and put it in my cheap harbor freight press, but this tool does look kinda handy :D
-Rob

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It may pay for some to just bring the knuckles to a machine shop, its probably 30 bucks at most to press both of them in and out. Probably take them 15 minutes to do with a heavy duty press.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts