TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I have a '95 SC with 111k on it that I intend to drive til about 200-250k, and then convert to a V-8. At first i was looking at the D&D Performance Novi blown 347 stroker, but found out the pushrod vs modular engine transmission choices are not compatible. What I think I want to do is put a 5.4 with a supercharger, connected to one of those new 5-speed automatics like the new Mustang has. I figure I have at least 1 1/2 - 2 years to plan this out, so I ma going to be pinging all you experts out there for advice and info from time to time. One thing I definitely like about owning my SC is the good web-based support and info resources we have have here. Kudos to you guys at TCCoA and SCCoA who take care of us!

How does this sound? A '95 SC converted to a blown 5.4, done in a neat and efficient package, backed by a bullet-proofed 5-speed automatic. With the 5th gear, I figure you could have the best of both worlds utilzing the 3.73s for good off-the-line performance, and the tall 5th gear for good road manners and gas mileage. The one drawback is that it will be a while before the aftermarket starts working on the new 5-speed.

I like the way the SCs look, plus the fact that it's the one I own. I suppose it would be easier to start with a 4.6 car, but I guess I'll stick with my SC. Although, I will probably pick up a 4.6 donor car for the pieces I'll need. Any body out there done a blown 5.4 in any kind of an MN-12 yet? Advice and information will be much appreciated. Properly set up, with quality/efficient wiring, plumbing, suspension, instrumentation, and etcetera, this would be a killer car.

Don Klitzke
Prospect, TN

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
It will be almost impossiable to build let alone the cost. Modular parts are a lot more expensive than 5.0 parts. If I were going to converte I would get a 94-95 mustang gt engine harness and put a blown and stroked 5.0 inside. I would go for a 331 insted of a 347 and use a vortech supercharger with a front mounted air to air intercooler. I talked to jerry about the new 5 speed automatic and it was stated that they would never hold the torque that I am producing and are not as strong as the 4r70w. The case size is a lot smaller meining smaller parts and less strength and our computers don't have the drivers on them.

If you use a 94-95 eec and wiring harness for the 5.0 mustang you can use the 4r70w. A 331 with vortech 8 psi will give you enough torque for every day driving and when you get into it the boost will realy make it come alive. And 355 gears would be perefect for this setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My whole idea in posting here is to get responses like yours from knowing people who've either already done a similar conversion, or are thinking about it. From reading in some of the latest magazine type pubs, I am seeing more, and somewhat more affordable options for Fords, like the D&D Motorsports 347 Novi package for example which was what got me started thinking about this. Mod motor packages are also available from a couple of different sources too (D&D, DSS), and hopefully prices willl drop and availability of options will pick up over the next couple of years. I might have suspected that Ford would go cheesy on the new five speed. That's a shame too, because a five gear auto would be perfect for this kind of application. Well, it's going in the new GT, so hopefully after a few of them are schrapneled, Ford will do it right the second time. That's the problem with Ford in general, good ideas, poor execution. For example, the Turbo Coupe should have been V-6 based at least. The SC was a very nice car, but my '93 was much better quality than my '95 which I now own and plan to V-8 in the near future.

Anyway, I'll be studying on different alternatives for a clean, bulletproof, and driveable blown V-8 conversion for my ''95 SC, and anything worthwhile that I find out, I will share with the Forums.

Don Klitzke
Prospect, TN

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
dklitzke said:

How does this sound? A '95 SC converted to a blown 5.4, done in a neat and efficient package, backed by a bullet-proofed 5-speed automatic. With the 5th gear, I figure you could have the best of both worlds utilzing the 3.73s for good off-the-line performance, and the tall 5th gear for good road manners and gas mileage. The one drawback is that it will be a while before the aftermarket starts working on the new 5-speed.
Any particular reason for the 5.4? The 4.6 would be easier to say the least. Also regarding the 5R55...here are the ratios:

5R55S 3.22 2.29 1.55 1.00 0.71
4R70W 2.84 1.55 1.00 0.70

In actuality the 4R70W has a slightly more highway friendly top gear. The difference lies in the non-OD ratios. It's not like the double-OD T-56 which has a 0.84 and 0.57 fifth and sixth gears. That 3.22 first gear ratio might be fun though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The idea of the 5.4 vs. the 4.6 is the displacement. The old saying that there's no substitute for cubic inches. I am kind of back and forth right now on the pushrod vs. the mod motor. Both are daunting to say the least, to drop into my SC. Especially the wiring, but if a guy plans well, and procures all or most of the needed parts up front, I suppose it could be done without too much frustration.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Go for it if you really want to, we have 5.4 guys here who can help. There are also those who point out that in most cases with the 4.6/5.4 debate, the 5.4 hasn't really managed to produce numbers substantially better than a 4.6...

Good luck though!

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
You have a 3.8L in your car to start so upgrading to a mod motor will require a new wiring harness, EEC, engine, transmission and etc.

I think it will be easier to swap a 351 than a 5.4L in that car. The parts are less expensive and I am sure it will be a cool ride…

My 2 cents…

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
that is another good thing about the 5.0 swap you won't have to buy another transmission. It dose not meen you won't have to beef up the sc transmission. The reason why I susgested the 331 has something to do with the rod stroke angle for durability. I have heard the 347s don't last as long. It is not that much displacement you are giving up. I think that a vortech supercharger type supercharger would work great if you are looking to go boost crazy. If you are willing to stay reasonable on boost kenny bell offers a very nice whipple non intercooled twin screw supercharger system. It is only 6 psi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts