TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting in my new coldair intake (massair to filter) I found there was no where to put the sensor that was on the inside of the air box. what is it for, do I need to make a place for it? If I put it the pipe will the direct flow of air effect it?

·
Registered
292 Posts
It doesn't really matter where you put it, as long as it is directly in the air stream. ALSO, it must be facing the air stream.

Some people say you get better performance by putting it right near throttle body. Reasoning being a more precise temperature reading. I disagree with that. In such location sensor will be affected by engine temperature, and so temperature reading of surrunding matterial will be given instead of temperature reading of air.

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
if you dont feel like drilling a hole in your nice intake tube, you could put it wherever your filter is getting air from. i assume it's under the bay sucking in ambient air. but maybe the air around the sensor needs to be flowing pretty well. wouldnt think so since it's a thermometer, but i dunno.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been meaning to plumb mine in for over 2 years now, but it's currently stuck through that perfectly sized square hole in the inner fender wall. I haven't noticed any detrimental effects, but I'm sure it's not optimal. Problem being that the harness isn't quite long enough to stick it anywhere in my intake...
Being a MechEng, I concur with mad281 that a sensor designed to be in airflow needs to remain in the airflow to read correctly. I would think that the sensor would be sending a temperature reading higher than correct. This would lead the computer to give a rich condition until rectified by the other sensors down the line. However, this begs the question of exactly how much flow the sensor "saw" in the box location. My wishful thinking was that the stock airflow was negligible and the error of putting the sensor in the fender overrode the turbulence and blockage of inserting it directly in the airstream. Either place you put it, it's not going to be exactly the same as stock, but that's why we have these smart adaptive computers, eh?

Michael - awaiting an expert to put me in my place

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I mount the sensor directly in tube , will the windchill be a factor?
As far as rich and lean goes, temperature higher than correct should lean car out not make it rich. Colder is richer and warmer is leaner. or that is my understanding from Compucar. The N2O system I have sprays from airfilter through sensor and mass air. Thus, the cooler more dense air fools the computer to a "cold start" keeping car from running lean. So I know the sonsor has to read temp in the intake tube but I dont know If it needs to be directly in the flow of air or off to the side like a cubby hole in the tube

·
Registered
92 Posts
sorry, you are correct, a hot temperature would lead the engine to give less fuel than correct for the amount of oxygen coming in. So I suppose this would mean that if the sensor is stuck in the fender you will achieve a lean fuel mixture, and if you place it directly in the stream you will get an initial rich condition. Too much circular thinking for me this late.
I pulled my stock box out of storage today and took a look. It appears that the stock location would see some turbulence but little steady flow. Based on that I would propose that the "airflow" location would be the safest for a tuned engine running on the edge of detonation, as most chipped engines are.
I may have to give some serious thought to having someone weld a bung into my intake tube. I looked into threading directly into the exhaust pipe I'm using, but the IAT sensor appears to be npt thread, which does not get along well with thin wall tubing.
The best solution for airflow and stock conditions would be some sort of cubby hole fabricated into the wall of the intake for the sensor to sit in. Blech...too much work for me, though. Perhaps just a short length of proper sized pipe welded 90 degrees to the main tube that would allow the sensor to sit back a bit.

·
Registered
292 Posts
will the windchill be a factor?

Windchill is for memals. You have a small coat of hot air around you, when wind blows it off, you chill. No, it's not a factor. In fact, the correct why to install temp sensor is for it facing the air stream.

·
8,239 Posts
In theroy it should be in the airstream. However, I have had mine in the fenderwall for two years now, and the air fuel mixture is dead on and the car runs fine.

JH

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I gess I will drill a hole in the tube to mount the senser so I know it senses the n2o, dont want to get lean.

pic & timeslip comeing soon!!!

FAST FORD

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I recommend that you install the IAT in what is known as a laminar flow condition. This means that it should be installed in a straight run and not immediately before or after any bends or obstructions in the intake tube.

This will insure that you get the most accurate reading.

Oh yea, make sure the seal is tight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts