TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you guys know we here in North Carolina had a pretty bad storm (Ice) last week and I was in it. Power was out and it was alittle cold. Well here are a few pics from around my apartment. Enjoy.

This tree was awesome

There is another one

This was behide my place

This was the enterance into my place

This was g/f's Mustang's antenna as I was de-icing the Stang

Okay we all were really bored so we bet this guy $5 to jump in the pool and $1 more for every minute he stayed out in the weather afterwards.

The guy getting ready

That has to be cold

Here is his effort at keeping warm, being wet and cold....laps around the parking lot. He only stayed out for 3 mins.

Moral of the story...don't do something like this for only $8 ;-)

PS- don't worry my Tbird stayed put for 4 days.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
hahahha good pics... hahah thats great man... i bet i could did it for $10.... anything for a buck....right pdennis?

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
WolfgangNC said:
As most of you guys know we here in North Carolina had a pretty bad storm (Ice) last week and I was in it. Power was out and it was alittle cold. Well here are a few pics from around my apartment. Enjoy.

Wow, is that tree in the first pic sagging because of the ice??? sorry, in New Mexico, .1" of snow causes havoc.....

as for the guy that jumped in the pool. he must have been REALLY desperate....or stupid... :D

very cool pictures :rofl:

sorry...couldnt resist

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Heh. I would've taken that bet in a second, then again at this time of year, it's like going back to fall for me.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Wow man. We had some pretty bad stuff like that almost 10 years ago here in Rochester NY.

I didnt live here at the time and didnt even have a car so it didnt matter to be but its a pretty big past event here. We get storms all the time but Ice storms are pretty bad. Glad to hear you car made it through ok.

-Shawn

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Re: Re: Ice Storm 2002

66dvlbrd68 said:
Wow, is that tree in the first pic sagging because of the ice???
Yes, some of our trees aren't able to sustain the extra weight. My sister has a nice wooded backlot and while I was over there all I heard was snapping and then the whump of the oak branches hitting the ground. On the other hand, there is a forest of pines behind my house and they appear to have had no problems.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
ShadowDragon said:

Yes, some of our trees aren't able to sustain the extra weight. My sister has a nice wooded backlot and while I was over there all I heard was snapping and then the whump of the oak branches hitting the ground. On the other hand, there is a forest of pines behind my house and they appear to have had no problems.
See, what disturbs me about that picture w/ the tree sagging is the cars below. If a branch snaps and falls down, bye bye birdie (or any other car below). that would totally suck. I dunno, maybe it's just me seeing the picture wrong (optical illusion?). Maybe the tree is farther away than I thought.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Maybe, maybe not.

Brother-in-laws Toyota truck got a branch right across the hood denting it all the way across and taking the passengers fender with it. Next door to them had a branch fall on top of a car under a cover, didn't see how much damage it did. Two houses down one took out a corner of an RV.

Some houses were damaged, one that was built by Habitat for Humanity and the old woman had just moved in the day before.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Back in 98, VT got a bad Ice storm. Here is a good pic of a birch tree.

Our storm was big enough to call in the National guard.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
GreenBird said:
Our storm was big enough to call in the National guard.
So was this one.
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WEATHER/12/07/wintry.storm/index.html
Gov. Mike Easley announced Friday he is calling up the National Guard after power company officials said it may be next Wednesday before more than a million customers have electricity again.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WEATHER/12/08/carolinas.power/index.html
North Carolina Gov. Michael Easley toured some of the affected area Saturday and dispatched National Guard troops to 21 counties, where they are offering assistance door to door.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WEATHER/12/08/carolinas.power.ap/index.html
National Guard goes door-to-door in icy North Carolina

1 - 10 of 10 Posts