TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
The TAC moves just a little when I turn the key on and a little when I turn it off but other wise motionless.
I checked the connection at the coil pack, tried reconnecting it and tried giggling it while having someone watch the tac but nothing.
Do you mean it moves with the key merely turned to on and off positions, or do you mean it moves when the engine is cranking/running and then again when the engine is shut off?

Intermittents like this can be hard to troubleshoot. Offhand, I suppose you could have either a harness wiring issue (engine vibrations causing intermittent connect/disconnect in a broken wire), if it moves when the engine is running or stopping, or perhaps the mechanic you had looking at it messed with the instrument cluster for some reason and caused a flaky connection at the tach terminal -- if memory serves, the tach is a plug-in module.
Try the easiest stuff first, of course. But if all else fails, you might remove the instrument cluster clear lens and tap around on the tach with a finger and see if it springs to life with the engine running. Maybe remove the tach, clean the contacts, then reinstall.

Could have other electrical issues. A battery about to go bad will cause weird issues. An alternator on its last legs can cause weird issues. Bad grounding. The list goes on...

You could take it back to the garage and tell them, "Hey, this tach was functional before you guys worked on my car, and now it's not. You have to fix it." See how well that goes. :wink2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The TAC just barely moves when the ignition to turned to on and again when turned to off. Does nothing at any other time.

I had the car at two different garages, the first one could not get to the bottom of the issue but I think they did try swapping out the coil packs so that was the first place I looked. The second was the dealership. I do not know what all they did other than remove the computer.

I am going to be by the first garage in a couple of days to have the car inspected, they are nice guys there so I'll talk with them a bit about it and see if any light is shed on the issue.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If your dongle will support it open the PID for engine RPM and see what the ECM thinks it is, if it sees correct RPM ( i think it does if it is driving fine) start looking into a problem in the gauge cluster or the harness somewhere between the ECM and cluster.

Gotta go clean up old wiring issues in my crap box now.. have fun

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just out of curiosity what wire are you proclaiming is the tach wire at the coil pack and which coil pack

21 - 24 of 24 Posts