TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the neverending search for power, and the intake being a good place to start, I think I might have seen what might work for a kind of ram air-ish intake. On the 89-93 base bumper covers, theres that collection of large, rectangular cutouts. Now, why couldn't someone run piping down to these openings, maybe put a little scoop on the bottom to direct air a bit, and bolt that into the air box, in place of the silencer? I know there's the danger of sucking water, and I'm still thinking on a solution to that, but the general design of this intake is im my head. I guess most importantly, would the expected gains warrant the time and hassle of building it?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was worried that would be the awnser.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, Perhaps not using the cut outs in the bumper, and those are really hard to cut BTW, I constructed my own intake out of 3" PVC, and a Conical Air filter, and 3' of Flat sheet metal, for a heat shield

Here are the pics:

Of the Filter/Heat shield

and the Whole Assy. except my hat was kinda in the way of the TB...

and....... my engine really isn't that dirty it just reallllllly looks like it..... for some reason. maybe its because I live in TX?

ask if you have any questions

-Rog

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Kelsey Smith said:
So in the neverending search for power...
You overlooked the fact you were buying a 3.8L? ;)

Kelsey Smith said:
would the expected gains warrant the time and hassle of building it?
nope - breathing more easily, and cooler air, is the least of the 3.8's issues when it comes to extracting more power out of them... Besides it sounds like your describing what will at some point become a big water scoop of the front of the car.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
"ram-air" is something of a myth, as far as any of us are concerned anyway. Just make sure your air intake isnt sucking up hot air from the engine bay, and thats about all you can really do.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
roger, where is ur MAF?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
ohh ok thanks

that cuz its an 89? and wut is it?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
The '89 3.8l's have a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes Sir, what it does I know not, but it does indeed have one. I beleive it cuts the A/C when I jam on it. but I don't put all my eggs in one basket on this one....:tongue:

-Rog

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Maf > Map

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Actually a MAF is an air flow sensor. A MAP is a vacuum sensor. Early engine computers used the MAP, later ones a MAF to calculate the air/fuel mixture needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts