TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright.. my mother is telling me when i get caught up on my bills to get rid of my failing bird and i think i agree with her. I do love my bird and looked forward to moding it, but i also realize that it will take alot of cash to first, do all the repairs it needs, and second, to mod it the way i would like. Much as i hate taking the lazy way out, i think i should just look for a new ride. Im proyl going to have to goto JD biryter or someplace like that as my credit is proly complete crap by now. Tho this will proly mean i dont have a huge selection to pick from. Any ideas or recommends on what i should aim for? I would like a small/mid suv. My mother has an Escape but that seems to...i dono.. Light to me cheap i guess would be more better a term. It just seems like an Escape is a chopped up cheaper version of an Explorer.. Am i right about that?

Anyway id like something that size (explorer size) Ive been tossing around 2 door vs 4 door, and even what Car to get if no suv's are too my liking. I know i reeally dont want a front wheel drive car, and i Refuse to get a 4 banger.. what ever i get will at least have a v6 in it. (im too spoiled to settle for a 4 banger). Also, im going to shoot for something at MOST 3 years old or under 40k miles.

Anyway.. Ideas?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess i should have guessed that all of you would just say find another bird/cat/mark. so nm

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm driving a 2000 Honda CRV this winter (winter beater) and I have to admit it's pretty practical for a grocery getter/daily driver. It's complete gutless but it's a decent highway cruiser and has plenty of interior space.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to see one from the inside, and proly test drive it.. but i still think the 2001 + Explorers (sport) look cool from the outside.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The escape isnt anything like an explorer. The Escape has a 3.0L 24V Duratec V6 in FWD or AWD, with independant rear suspension.. I drive an 03 Mazda Tribute for the winter (aka when the snow is too deep for my Thunderbird).. (Its Exact same as Escape, it even says "Manufactured by Ford Motor Co." on its door tag). Its pretty quick for a soccer mom mobile. Pretty gutsy, pulls hard. The AWD models come with a rotary coupling something or other transfer case also. IMO the Tribute looks better then the Escape.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
i know this might be to old for you, but id get a bronco......i know myself and a few other people here have one and they are tanks.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
DONT GET A EXPLORER WITH A 4.0 SOHC !! you think your bird needs help, buy one of those pos, if you want a explorer, get a 4dr with a 5.0 or 4.6

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
AlpineBird said:
i know this might be to old for you, but id get a bronco......i know myself and a few other people here have one and they are tanks.
That's right! My dad had a Bronco that was way older than me and that thing is probably still running somewhere. It was a heck of a truck. I'd get one if I could afford 2 vehicles.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the escape isnt that bad looking on the outside, i just dont like the interior design of it, i dont like the headlights on a stick, nor do i like the cruse control on the stick, which is why i dont care much for GM cars, tho i have seen a rare few with the cruse on the wheel.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
jk89cat said:
DONT GET A EXPLORER WITH A 4.0 SOHC !! you think your bird needs help, buy one of those pos, if you want a explorer, get a 4dr with a 5.0 or 4.6
I agree with that. My ex had a 4.0 SOHC Ranger 4X4 and my god did it have problem after problem with that thing! She had to have an engine overhaul.. and then it STILL had problems!!!!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
jk89cat said:
I agree with that. My ex had a 4.0 SOHC Ranger 4X4 and my god did it have problem after problem with that thing! She had to have an engine overhaul.. and then it STILL had problems!!!!

Seriously for a good daily get like a Prelude or even a V6 Mustang 5 speed. Good daily and good MPG.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The Bronco is definately a good choice for a truck. (I cant call them SUVs, those arent in the same league as a Bronco)These trucks are tanks, they go through anything and will take a total sh*ticking and keep goin without problems.

Lol, my buddy was a total chevy guy till he took one for a drive and ended up trading a camaro for it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What's a ballpark of exactly how much you'll have to spend? that would deifnatly help out!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No idea now much cash ill have.. im going to have to trade in my bird to a place that will give me credit, because my credit sucks. and i still have like 2 grand left of my car payment. it sucks

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's a lot to owe on an iolder car. How many miles are on it? chances are you will just get a small portion of that realisticallyand the rest will be tacked onto your new payment/. i looked at trading on a 95 M1rk VIII last week and the turds offered me a whopping 400 trade-in for my car, i told them where they couls stick it basically. Good thing though, my friend was thinking about buy it and he's a tech at a different Ford dealership, he checked it out and figures it has a ton of electrical bugs so.... Anyways, if you have to trade in at a certain place, it won't really matter too mcuh what is said here because unfortunatly, what they have at the time in inventory is what you will have a choice of.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, i have 115000 miles on it, and i know i wont get much out of it, and whatever is left would be added on my new payment. I am limited to a few places to go, but since my car is still drivable, i have time to wait and be alittle picky as to what i get, unlike the last time when i was prettty much rushed into getting my bird because i NEEDED the car asap.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I understand that. That is kinda why I have my Vic, had some cash, but wasa rushed to get something, she hasn't been a bad car for what i have in her though. Anyways, you may want to try and save up aboput 2 gs for a downpayment and you might be able to get an autoloan through the bank. 2gs for a downpayment means a lot, trust me, that is usually what it takes these days for me to get an autoloan, thoug I was able to get an unsecured personal loan for the vic :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts