TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I have to look at and where to determine what year an SC engine is?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just a total shot in the dark since I know very little about SC motors but I would guess the block casting numbers.

E9SZ-6F088-A or E9SE-6F088-A Something like that for 89-93, newer motors should have a FXXX-XXXX-X Casting.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Differences would be Front Cover for 94/95 uses a different Crank Sensor, 89-93 use a external bracket to mount it. Also 89-93 will have a ICM on the passengers accessory bracket, 89-92 have a much bigger ABS system, with accumulator ball on drivers side.

·
Registered
935 Posts
89-93s can be determined in a few different ways, depending on how much you have to see. 89-90s throttle body has a coolant line going thru them...93s have steel valve covers. 89-92 MAFs are 55mm.

94/95s have the widage tray in the bottom, front cover, no DIS as they went eDIS...

I beleive theres an identifying barcode on the back side of the drivers side head also if you wanted to know.

-Tim

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Throttle body has a coolant line, valve covers are metal, no maf, I can get the barcode off of the head if it will help however I don't know how to decipher it.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Throttle body has a coolant line, valve covers are metal, no maf, I can get the barcode off of the head if it will help however I don't know how to decipher it.
Look for the F or E9 part numbers .. supercharger, exhaust manifolds, etc etc ..

Most of the valve covers are Magnesium, only the 93's came with the steel ones.

Throttle body had coolant lines on the 89-93 models I thought, 94/95 did not.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the barcode on the back of the driverside head.

I've also noticed a few E9 part numbers on a few of the front brackets.

I'm such a novice with the SC stuff so I really appreciate all of the help from anyone who knows. The valve covers are non-magnetic so I'm assuming I've isolated it to an 89 to 92. If anyone could point me in the right direction as to where I would find the block numbers I'll start scrubbing the filth and type them up here for decoding as well. I don't think I'm over my head just yet. I'm too determined haha.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Like I said .. check the exhaust manifolds, drivers side was updated in 92, would have an F2 part number .. same with the supercharger F2 part if its a 92. A lot of parts will start with E9S since they are super coupe specific, bracketd are the same 89-93 so they would all be E9's.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If it has the coolant line most likely its a pre 93, 93s do not have this and I'm betting its a 89-91.

Most of the parts on my 93 start E9 even the block. If memory serves the valve covers have a decal on them too, well they left the factory with one.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

2 night flashlight lighted pictures of the drivers side manifold... of course no idea if that is original to it either since it didn't even have gaskets under it.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
They didnt come with gaskets from the factory - the machined surfaces were nice when they were brand new.

Looks to be 89-91.

Look under the oil pan, near the part number there should be a year stamped on it and a row of boxes with dots .. that would indicate Year and month.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They didnt come with gaskets from the factory - the machined surfaces were nice when they were brand new.

Looks to be 89-91.

Look under the oil pan, near the part number there should be a year stamped on it and a row of boxes with dots .. that would indicate Year and month.
Thank you, I'll check it when I get some more free time lol.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:facepalm: Doh!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

So... I'm guessing it's the last production of 89? November 89? Dura crank or forged internally balanced? I'll need to know to get a flexplate and balancer.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
It would have gone into a 90 sc at that date. Then again ford isnt consistent with things.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Well like I mentioned above .. my 1995 SC has a Born on Date of June 26th 1995, but the pan was cast in Mid-1994. So I would say its pretty fair to assume it came out of a 1990 model, very unlikely it has a duracast crank, those were changed mid-year in 89 and your pan was cast very late in the year.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a huge sigh of relief.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
On SCCOA only one Duracast has been found so far, most were recalled.

As far as dates, my 93 has a purchase date in November of 92 but has F3 part numbers.

At this point I'd say its impossible to get an exact year but obviously safe to say is a 89-91.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts