TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one tire swaped and the other balanced on the rear tonight at a late night truck stop place that also does cars.

It took about 30 min on one tire cause they couldnt figure out what was wrong with it, (they left an old weight on it) and it took forever, They went ahead and did the other one (swaped old with new) and balanced it and put it on the car and half way screwed in the bolts.

They told me I can go in the office and have some coffee while I wait, Im not a coffee drinker but they did have a jegs mag so sat down and did some daydreaming.

10 min later they came in with the bill, I paid it, got my change and left.

I walk out to my car, (where I back it in at, It was still chalked up in the front. and I give it a quick look around,

Hmm, the center cap on one side is off, What professionals they are for missing that one, and, As im putting it on, I see 5 loose lug nuts and my tire about to fall off.

They didnt even tighten them on one side!!!!!

First off, I was thinking of the damaged it would do If I drove off with it like that and wondered if I could possibly be getting that rear disc conversion for free, but then my honesty stated to kick in.

I admit, It was late, they probably work long hrs, and everyone makes mistakes. But then on another hand, These people are responsible for lives of people that thrust them to do thier job right.

So do you think I should of let them Bite the cost of replacing what ever broke? Or Should I have told them?

I did end up telling them, I guess it was just in the mood I was, and the friendly converstation there would of kinda made me feel guilty of doing something mean to them.

If I would of rolled off, I bet that I would of broken this:

Damaged Studs
Crushed brake drum
Mawed rim
Missing Lug nuts, LOL

Its just one of those things that happen and its good I caught it before it was too late and someone got hurt.

Oh yea, I failed to mention, There are like 4 truck stops around it, If I would of pulled out into the road and it broke, I, more than likely would of been hit by a semi.

What would you do?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
dont forget the possible damage to the chassis or body panels from hitting the ground when you have no wheel.

I guess I care too much about the well being of my car to hurt it like that just to get some money out of people. I would have gone back in and yelled at em.

-Thomas

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Agreed. I wouldn't have let my car take the fall, but you better believe I'd have gone in there and given 'em hell.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
My brother had the front driver's wheel FLY off his Cavalier when we were going to take him to his apartment. Sheered off 3 studs (luckilly, 2 were left, so we put the wheel back on), bent in the fender, so it needs to be replaced, and at least it was low enough, so that we were able to skid along the highway, instead of becomming totally fubar. Wheel didn't hit anyone, and we didn't hit anyone either. We were able to get on the side of the highway without anything else happening. He also had his steeringwheel off, so he could put his new one on, but he still had the old one held on with a pair of vise grips. Cost him $100 to have the studs fixed at a shop.

I still think they would have noticed a loose wheel when they're backing it out. What morons... Wal-Mart usually does a better job than that.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
93pimpin said:
I still think they would have noticed a loose wheel when they're backing it out. What morons... Wal-Mart usually does a better job than that.
Well, When I got there, I went into the office and they told me to back the car in. They got done and I paid and started to leave and I noticed that.

If it wasnt for the stack of tires blocking me from getting inside my car from the drivers side, I would of missed it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts