TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i haven't posted in a while. Got a question, i bumped up my idle so the car idles at 1000rpms in park/nuetral, and idles at 750rpms in drive and reverse.

Reason being cause my power steering is not giving out much output, and raising the idle helps ALOT when slow parking etc.. The extra 150rpms in drive/reverse helps alot.

Any longterm harm in a car idling at those rpms..? Stock 4.6 1995 i know is 750-800 in P and 550-600 in drive/reverse.

PS, i raised it with the throttle body screw.. And it stays where i put it, i like how i don't have to give it gas in order to go while it's in drive....before i had to press the gas to reverse/park etc. HAPPY HOLIDAYS BTW...

·
Registered
23 Posts
i cant see why it would do anyharm just keep on the look for things out of the ordinary but i have never heard of it doing any harm

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, believe it or not it makes alot of things work better. Especially when you use the a/c or when the e fan kicks on. No more light dimming when i got my subs playing in park.. :D

·
Registered
563 Posts
BAD Idea

Ignore me if I am wrong, but a high idle is NOT ok. Take it from me, I learned the hard way. For 50K miles the previous owner of my car drove it with a 1100 RPM idle. I got the car, cleaned the IAC, instant 700 RPM idle. 2 days later piston rings blow out in cruise control going 70 MPH @ 110K miles on the clock

There is something causing your car to have a low idle. You can temporarily fix it by using something to shim the throttle open, but that sensor causing the low idle is going to take other sensors down with it and maybe the engine too in my case. Have a diagnostic done on your engine, is there any check engine light codes?

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
yeah well I was thinking the same thing... My idle went from its normal 700 in gear down to about 500. It idles at about 600 in park or neutral. The funny thing is... it used to do 600 in park and 800 or so in neutral. Then the neutral dropped back down... I don't understand it at all.

·
Registered
280 Posts
thats aswome, i was thinking of getting a better battery and a more powerful alternator because my battery gage goes nuts at a set of lights if i have my music loud, but im gonna do this

·
Registered
563 Posts
I believe it is supposed to idle at 700 RPMs. My car purrs at idle in park or neutral at 700 rpms with my new motor, but as soon as I put it in drive it dives to 500 rpms. Mechanic says its my MAF, but I swear its clean

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Believe it or not though, i've read that the voltage gauge in our cars SUCK and are not even acurate. I love it how my blinker ALONE makes the gauge tick.

I will comment on the stiff steering the birds have, 94/95 birds are really stiff compared to even any rwd car, or some fwd nissans i drove. I like caprice cars, the car weighs 4000lbs and you can turn the wheel like it was on jack stands.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
no I mean its pretty hard to turn and then the engine bogs down to like 400RPM... now this is mostly due to it probably being time to flush the system. But I had alot of unexpected bills come up lately and so it will be put off. Oil change is higher up on hte priority list. Preceeding that the unexpected bills of all my brake pads :(

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah i know what you mean about bogging down. If you want, turn the screw at the tb, it takes like 2-3 full turns i believe to bump it up to 900-1000rpms in P....700in D/R..

Just be aware that now when you put the car in drive it will sorta drive itself. When my steering was REALLY stiff bumping the idle up so it was 750 IN Drive AND reverse really helped alot, but i wouldn't leave it like that forever.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
still doesn't explain the drop in idle speed.... But yeah I KNOW its the temperature. I went to a party up on beach mountain and my car stayed on the back side of the condo. The car was FROZEN!!! But yeah it definitely didn't want to turn he wheels.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Some one please correct me if I’m wrong. From what I gather I would say that your drop in idle while steering is due to the fact that the alternator is not working and the power steering takes a load from the engine.
Now the power steering becomes stiffer when under drive pulleys are added. This is because the power steering isn't working as hard and it allows the engine that much less of a strain.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
if you were talking to me... I know when you aren't moving and turnt he wheel the frition of the tires on the pavement causes the powersteering to have to work hard which bogs the engine down. my low RPM though is NOT cuz of the powersteering. My car has dropped it normal idle RPM down to 600... and in gear it will drop to about 550. I'm trying to figure out why. I'm going to replace my TPS and my IAC valve soon. I've noticed some wierd fluctuation goin on in the RPM recently.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts