TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have this weird problem. I changed the oil and filter yesterday, as well as replaced the air filter. I put in a red top Optima battery that i got from a buddy. well, when i went to start it was almost dead, the car turned over a few times and started, so i let it run and charged it. shut it off and went to start it again later, same thing, turned over slow and then started. swapped back to the old battery and started like a champ.

now the weird problem. now i have an idle problem. when it gets warmed up, and i stop at a stop sign, it idles down to 475-500ish. when i go to reverse from park, it idles down alot too, and wants to stall, and this corresponds to a drop in voltage from the alt.

did i fry the alt with that other battery? I sprayed carb cleaner over the vacuum lines and cant find any vacuum leaks, the alt is the only other thing i can figure.

Thanks guys,

Jamie

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Have you driven it 3 times through a full cold, warm, drive cycle? My 2000 Grand Marquis is picky after the battery has been disconnected and it needs to relearn or whatever you want to call it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
give it about another 100 miles and let it run through its cycle. Thats what I hate about disconnecting my battery, I have to go through it learning everything again.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whatever it was seems to have gone away. Drove it to San Diego and back with no idle problems except for a dip here and there.

Now I have other problems though. If you want to help with that, look in the 4R70W forum.

Thanks,

Jamie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts