TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to my 93 V6 I have an 85 Accord that I drive around in the winter when the roads get bad. Anyway, today when I started it, it didnt want to start. Had to crank it for about fifteen or twenty seconds before I finally got her going, but the problem is she wants to die at idle. If I am on the freeway its fine, no problems at all, but once i come to a stop or slow down, the engine starts to run really rough. After anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute the engine dies. Then it takes forever to start up again. Any ideas as to what this could be? The engine is a 1.8l carbed 4 cyl that puts down a whopping 86hp or so ;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like it could be the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC). Had this happen on my '96 Cougar. Take it off & inspect the internals. If it has alot of black dust/gunk in it, spray it with some carb cleaner and see if the car starts better.

chris

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sounds like the carb is flooding out. Is it putting out black smoke at idle? does it smell rich? I would look into replacing the carb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts