TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok MadMikeL just threw my 95 40th Anniversy Edition bird back together as many of you know.

Who knows anything about getting it to idle correctly.

The gas in the tanks is about 4 years old, and I know that's an issue.

After this the next goal will be to put it in gear and move it out of the garage.

Is there supposed to be play in the throttle cable while not under load?

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
Ok MadMikeL just threw my 95 40th Anniversy Edition bird back together as many of you know.

After this the next goal will be to put it in gear and move it out of the garage.

I'd drain the gas; I wouldn't kill a set of injectors for $20...

:)

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
Pop the fuel supply line off at the engine, put a piece of hose on it, and turn the key to on...I wouldn't let it run for more than a few minutes at a time, to keep from overheating the pump. :)

I wouldn't try this indoors, lol.

You might want to try something less dangerous...

:zdevil: << Don't make this you, in other words. :rolleyes:

If you take the gas inlet tube off at the tank, you can get a hose into the tank, and siphon it out; I think I had to take off the wheel to make room to get to it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, I pulled the rear passanger wheel and found the large rubber hose that connects the Hard line to the tank, Popped that line off and inserted a 6 ft piece of clear hose I had in the garage. One quick draw on the hose and swoosh . . out came all the gas. Filled 3 four gallon buckets about 4/5 of the way . .So I removed about 10 - 11 gallons of old gas. Was not sure where to put it, so I wont say one here in case anyone gives a $h!+ about the enviroment.

Long story short it's on "E" now . . So I'm going to get a 5 gallon can of 94 Octane tomorrow.

Also . . . Got the Collectors hooked up the the headers. . . small gap in the left collector because they didn't line up perfectly on that side, but no biggie cause it's going tot he exhaust shop next anyway.

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
Do you guys have Kudzu where you live?

That's an environmentally friendly way to dispose of gas. :)

I always use it to burn stuff with; Leaving the bike tank full over the winter is the best way to keep it from rusting, so I have a ready supply...

Running year old gas thru carbs or fuel injectors is nothing you ever want to do; gas turns to varnish as it evaporates, and it settles out easier the older it gets.

Look at the old gas in a glass bottle next to new gas, you'll see why you don't want to burn it. Gas absorbs oxygen and turns darker, for one.

I feel your pain; My black car sat for about two years after it was totalled, I ended up draining about 15 gal out of it.

Do not ever put ingeniously sealed michelob bottles of gasoline in a blazing fire; that can be intense...

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts

Any Progress?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gas is out and 93 octane is in.

Topped off the Trans fluid . .Was 5 quarts low (Holds 13.5 Qts.)
topped of power steering fluid and it actually drives. . .

Exhaust does not match perfectly so it's loud as hell on the left side header cause there is a 1/4 in gap there before the Cat accumulator.

I'm going to order the "mandrel exhaust that is posted on the forums and have it installed at a shop.

Brakes are really mushy. Should I have the brake system purged or something?

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
Brakes are really mushy. Should I have the brake system purged or something?
I check the brake fluid, and if it's dark colored, I clean out the whole thing...

BF gets darker as it absorbs water, so coffee looking fluid is really bad. :) (I bought a bike like this...) :rolleyes:

If it looks dark, use a basting syringe to suck out the fluid out of the reservoir before you start; you don't want to flush all that crap thru the system, right?

Fill it up with fresh fluid, and have someone watch the level while you bleed the brakes.

I usually make sure that I get totally clean fluid out before I stop.

Using model airplane gas tubing lets you see the fluid coming out better, and won't dissolve in the fluid.

Start the furthest wheel from the master cylinder, and work your way in.

Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts