TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996 ford thunderbird 4.6L V8 tan interior
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I was replacing my idler pulley bearing because I had a bad squeak coming from it. As I removed it, the idler pulley cylinder the bearing sits on fell right off. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
If it's what I think it is, then you're going to have to either get it welded back on or replace the entire front cover of the engine.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
It's this thing, right?

Reactions: Jett

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,837 Posts
Best off just replacing the cover. Even if you could find a welder who will do aluminum it’s a machined surface you’d need to make sure the pulley will slip onto.

If you need to drive the car immediately you could probably bodge it back together if you find the exact position it broke from and fix it in place with JBweld. The threads go about 1/2” deeper than the break and if you can find a bolt that uses all of them (that won’t break through the cover!!!) it might hold. Disclaimer: temporary hack fix that may throw a pulley into your hood and belt off the car, I am not responsible 😇

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
I agree with the above; it's a jagged surface where it broke, and the bolt will keep it in place.

My only question is how deep is the remaining hole; it needs to be at least 3 bolt diameters deep to stay in there.

Drill the threads out of the broken piece; you want the force from the bolt to hold it to the front cover.

All that said, you can probably find that front cover for $50.

Reactions: Jett

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
Good News!

You don't have to dink with the timing chain at all for that replacement.
:)

Unfortunately, that's the extent of the good news, because everything bolted to the front of the engine and some other stuff has to come off.

I'm not sure about the water pump, but at least the front two bolts out of the AC compressor and steering pump have to come out, as well as the valvecovers, alternator, and 4 bolts out of the oil pan.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,837 Posts
Water pump stays in place, just the pulley needs to come off,. AC compressor doesn’t have to be touched either, it’s bolted to the block and the pulley doesn’t interfere, and no real need to remove the alternator either. The power steering pump needs to come off though, since it’s bolted into both it and the block, which is kind of a PITA(you’ll want a pulley remover/installer kit to access the bolt next to the fitting). This would be a good time to replace the valve cover gaskets and grommets if they’re originals, and make sure RTV is used on all 3 way seams(pan/block/timing cover, heads/block/timing cover, heads/timing cover/valve covers)

·
Registered
1996 ford thunderbird 4.6L V8 tan interior
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good News!

You don't have to dink with the timing chain at all for that replacement.
:)

Unfortunately, that's the extent of the good news, because everything bolted to the front of the engine and some other stuff has to come off.

I'm not sure about the water pump, but at least the front two bolts out of the AC compressor and steering pump have to come out, as well as the valvecovers, alternator, and 4 bolts out of the oil pan.
yeah I already tore it apart went fairly smooth just took lots of time and patience. I do not have to remove the water pump

1 - 9 of 9 Posts