TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on my A/C or heater I notice that my car idles differently. At first the RPM's go higher but I thought this to be normal due to the belts crankin' and such. But even after its been on for a while the Voltage Meter tends to jump around and so do the RPM's slightly. Is this normal or is my alternator going out or what?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
When my A/C system pressure gets low, more specifically, below 150 psi on the high side, I notice that my idle fluctuates with either the heater, or A/C on.

As soon as I add 134a, and get above 150 psi, the idle returns to a stable rpm.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess ill look into that. But the idling seems to go down as soon as the Voltage meter goes down. From listening to it while my a/c or heater is running.... ill hear something else start cranking (another belt or what have you). And thats where the voltage meter drops and idle goes down a lil bit temporarily. Never dies or stalls though. Just something ive noticed. I dont think its a huge problem (yet).

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I don't think cougar_ricer has the same problem I did.

My idle would jump up aprox 200 rpms, hold a couple of seconds, then go back down to the normal idle rpm. It would do this every 15 seconds, whenever my car was stationary, and the heat or A/C was on.

Only by servicing the A/C with r134a, until it was at the proper pressure level, did this idle flucuation go away.

It has done this twice so far, and I just cured it again last week, by adding some refrigerant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts