1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like this guy.

Man uses physics to fight $400 traffic ticket
By Monica Garske , NBCSanDiego.com

A UCSD physicist used his knowledge and a little creativity to get himself out of a $400 traffic ticket.

Dmirti Krioukov was issued a traffic ticket for failing to completely stop at a stop sign. Instead of paying the ticket or going to traffic school, the physicist fought the citation by writing a four-page paper explaining how the ticket he was given defies physics.

Using his knowledge of angular and linear motion, Krioukov prepared a paper for the judge in his case and was able to argue – and prove – his innocence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The paper explained how what the officer “thought” he saw, he didn’t really see, according to the laws of physics.

“Therefore my argument in the court went as follows: that what he saw would be easily confused by the angle of speed of this hypothetical object that failed to stop at the stop sign. And therefore, what he saw did not properly reflect reality, which was completely different," Krioukov said.

Before others try the “physics defense” before a judge, Krioukov warned that it took a perfect combination of events for his argument to legitimately hold up.

When asked if he really did stop at the stop sign, the physicist stuck to his argument.

“Of course I did,” he said with a smile.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/15/11205190-man-uses-physics-to-fight-400-traffic-ticket?lite

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
You'd be surprised how many tickets are gotten out of fairly easily. I used to put 60,000+ miles a year on my car for work and I got a lot of tickets (mostly speeding, a couple 'right turn on red where prohibited'). You just have to go to court. Sometimes the officer fails to show, or you just give a good reason.

Some excuses I've used:

'Car was unmarked, I didn't know what the driver wanted until the blue lights came on, and I was in fear for my life.' (I was doing over 100mph because I thought the guy was racing - I mean pursuing me on that one and yes, the case was thrown out)

'I was behind another car and there was no way that radar gun clocked me instead of the car in front of me' (78 mph ticket dismissed)

'I was following my friend, I got a ticket & he didn't. How can that be possible?' (that excuse didn't work, the officer simply told the judge I was gaining on him)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My brother once was doing over 100 on a back country road, cop pulls him over and says....

Cop: Do you know how fast you were going?
Chris (my brother): No sir.
Cop: I had to do over 120 to catch you!!!
Chris:HOLY SH!T - (pats the dash in front of the cop) I didn't know she COULD go that fast.
Cop: *laughing* - Why were you going that fast?
Chris: I just got the car and did a complete tune up on her, I was just testing her out.
Cop: OK well you got all the carbon out I would say, slow her down and don't let me catch you again.
Chris: TY sir and I won't let you catch me again (smiling)
Both: laugh and exchange goodbyes.

Car 1977 Mercury Grand Marquis / 351M Engine / C6 Tranny
Age of Driver: 17yrs. old
Road 715 in the Poconos, PA

From then on we called my brother the silver tongued devil lol.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
When I first got my car back from Robert , back home I left a stop light smoking the rear tires and fish tailing :D , I was on the way back home noticed a blue Dodge charger gaining on me, I pulled in to our housing development sure enough the blue light came on, Officer said "You no why I am stopping you ?
I said yes . "I was showing my ass back there at the light " he smiles and asks for the usual stuff. goes back to his car comes back and says, " Just keep it down next time , and Nice car " I said "Thank you " I think my age and being honest got me out of that one ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL :tongue:

Being honest AND an old fogey goes a long way with most cops.

Glad for you that it didn't go the other way. I hate dealing with tickets. :mad:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Dont get pulled over in NJ........... cops here have NO sence of humor what so ever. I havent been able to talk my way out of a ticket. There were 2 cases I didnt get a ticket, one being pulled over from a cop from a different town, the other because a school zone light was not on.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
My best ticket was one doing 80 in 55. In an 1963 Falcon wagon. With the 170cid straight six.

I showed up for court, told the judge "Sir, I deny I was going that fast. But tell you what. I'll be glad to give you the keys. If you can get it up to 80 MPH, I'll pay the ticket." (Small city court in East Texas) Judge excused himself for 40 minutes, came back and dismissed the ticket.

Best HE got was 60, downhill.

RwP

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Me and a bud were sitting in his Javelin at a stoplight when he decided to hold the brake and floor the gas. While we were completely engulfed in tiresmoke someone started thunking on the sidewindow. Off the gas, let the smoke clear and two things came into view....a big metal flashlight and a badge.

Officer: (choking a bit on the smoke) May I ask just what in the HELL you think you're doing?
Bud: Uh......fogging for bugs.
Officer: (LOLs for a minute) Alright, get out of my town NOW.
Bud: Yes Sir.

No ticket.

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My best ticket was one doing 80 in 55. In an 1963 Falcon wagon. With the 170cid straight six.

I showed up for court, told the judge "Sir, I deny I was going that fast. But tell you what. I'll be glad to give you the keys. If you can get it up to 80 MPH, I'll pay the ticket." (Small city court in East Texas) Judge excused himself for 40 minutes, came back and dismissed the ticket.

RwP
LOL

Ah, those were different times. I bet that was quite a few years ago that, that happened.

I wish the courts were still that uh, what's the word ...? understanding?

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
LOL

Ah, those were different times. I bet that was quite a few years ago that, that happened.

I wish the courts were still that uh, what's the word ...? understanding?
Yah, that was during the Double-Nickle era, back in the early 80's.

RwP

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts

RwP

hmmmmm I have read this story before , Somewhere

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts

RwP
hmmmmm I have read this story before , Somewhere
Quite possibly - I've related it several times.

RwP

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Me and a bud were sitting in his Javelin at a stoplight when he decided to hold the brake and floor the gas. While we were completely engulfed in tiresmoke someone started thunking on the sidewindow. Off the gas, let the smoke clear and two things came into view....a big metal flashlight and a badge.

Officer: (choking a bit on the smoke) May I ask just what in the HELL you think you're doing?
Bud: Uh......fogging for bugs.
Officer: (LOLs for a minute) Alright, get out of my town NOW.
Bud: Yes Sir.

No ticket.

:rofl:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The easiest one I ever got out of where I actually received a ticket when when I got one for 60 in a 50. Word of advice...dont cut off a county constables truck while "weaving" through slow moving cars. I think he was so mad, he wrote me the ticket for 60 in a 50 zone. Imagine my surprise when I pull away and notice I can see the first 50 zone sign ahead. I was so mad, I turned around and watched the zone signs. The guy wrote me a ticket for a 50 zone while I was in a 55 zone. I talked to the judge in Calvert and he threw it out no problem. I dont even think they asked me for the $10 court fees that towns usually ask for. I told him I had no problem taking it for a 5mph over ticket, but it definitely wasnt 10 mph. I was so thrilled they took my word for it, because if they didnt, I would have had to do my homework!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Best one for me.

My wife and I both got tickets 85 in a 65. I got pulled over, my wife was following me, so she pulls in behind the cop.

We both tickets. I showed up in court wearing my service uniform. I was in the front row with other service members. They took us all in a room and dismissed all our tickets including my wifes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts